Paper With Deep Litter Method?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ldyjarhead, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Ldyjarhead

Ldyjarhead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2009
    South/Central OH
    I've seen posts where some add shredded paper to their shavings when using the deep litter method. I'm all about keeping costs down and recycling, but are all types of paper acceptable?

I'm assuming regular white paper is ok and will shred my junk mail, but what about colored newspaper (store advertisements, etc) - are they ok to use or is the ink a no-no?

2. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    The U S Dept of AG is now experimenting with dollar bills. [​IMG] Our tax dollars at work? [​IMG]

3. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Just kidding. I use grass clippings and shredded leaves and they work fine. Same for nests. Best of all, they are free. Because I use poop planks, I only have to change out litter once a year. Coop is never stinky. If I had my druthers and could get it for free, I would use wood chips like when the power co sends out line-clearing crews. I cannot see why shredded paper could not be used. Fire hazard? All litter is combustible. [​IMG]

4. Jon_mi

Jon_mi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2007
    Pinckney, MI
    I use shredded paper with my litter. It has worked okay for the past 3 years, the chickens will eat it however! There is something satisfying about my chickens eating my old bills! I don't use the shiny papers or catalog pages. A lot papers and mailings today use soy based inks so those should be okay. Shredded paper isn't very absorbent though so I wouldn't use just the paper.

5. Ldyjarhead

Ldyjarhead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2009
    South/Central OH
    Quote:Newspaper should be more absorbent than regular white letter paper by far. If you stuff it into your sneakers after washing, newspaper will pull the water right out of them and your sneaks will dry overnight as opposed to taking several days.

I'm planning on using shavings, maybe whatever leaves I have on the ground, and then just whatever small amount of paper I have, which should be a very small percentage of overall litter. I hadn't planned on using magazines/glossies, but some of the grocery stores around here print on newspaper type material, although with colored ink.

6. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    Quote:Newspaper should be more absorbent than regular white letter paper by far. If you stuff it into your sneakers after washing, newspaper will pull the water right out of them and your sneaks will dry overnight as opposed to taking several days.

I'm planning on using shavings, maybe whatever leaves I have on the ground, and then just whatever small amount of paper I have, which should be a very small percentage of overall litter. I hadn't planned on using magazines/glossies, but some of the grocery stores around here print on newspaper type material, although with colored ink.

We have a local grocery store that mails out nonglossy colored ads that is soy based ink.

7. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Thanks you guys! My DH is in the process of building our biggest best coop yet and we will be using the deep liter method. Nice to know I can add the newpaper too!

8. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I get about 10, 40 gal. trash bags of shredded paper from the local bank a month. My deep litter method is one bag of paper to 2 bags of wood shavings. I try to layer it out the best I can, but the chickens just stir it all up anyway [​IMG]

Sometimes people ask why my garden has paper in it... it doesn't seem to compost as rapidly as the shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by