Parakeet Eggs! Here we go again! *UPDATE: Page 3: PICTURE HEAVY!!!!!*

UPDATE: I did some quick research and found out that Chester (the yellow one with red eyes, like an albino would have) is a Lutino, which is a parakeet that is yellow with red eyes.
smile.png
I wonder how that happened! Neither of his parents are Lutino.
idunno.gif
But it's still really cool!
wee.gif

This is so cool..... Glad you finally got some babies I commented on some of your other attempts. Since then after a lot of research and a lot of convincing my parents we have gotten what we hope is a pair of parakeets, they are still too young to determine gender. If they end up being a pair we are going to let them mature some and some time late this year or early next year we hope to maybe have some babies here as well.
big_smile.png
I will post a picture of them.

15667_100325-114826.jpg

This is Gwyn

15667_keets.jpg

And here is Gwyn with what we hope is her mate skittles they sit next to each other and kiss and preen each other.

Gwyn is a white parakeet (Not Albino) and Skittles is a Sky Blue parakeet. I have had some problems with them though shortly after the first picture was taken we had an emergency and had to leave town, and they have not trusted us since. They will eat millet out of are hands if it is inside the cage but that is as far as their trust goes they don't dare get on our hands. They were taken well care of while we were gone but I don't think the person we left them with interacted with them other than feeding them changing water and cleaning their cage. Any suggestions on getting them hand tame ?

Quote:
Aww they're cute!
smile.png

As for taming them, just keep handling them as much as possible if you can. Are they like terrified of you so that when you try to get them on your hand they fly away in a panic? Maybe you could clip their wings. We've done this with our other parakeet, Toddra, (the one who tried hatching eggs a couple times that I've posted about...sadly she passed away a few months ago.
sad.png
) and it helped her get used to us because instead of flying away in a panic, she sat on our hands. At first she had to learn that she couldn't fly, because she tried a couple times and it didn't work and eventually she learned to just sit on our fingers and even on someone's shoulder.
smile.png

Clipping a parakeet's wings isn't harmful or cruel to them; that is, if you do it right it isn't. You use scissors and carefully cut away the flight feathers, but not too far up. It's not painful to them either, as long as you don't cut a blood feather or cut too far up. If you're unsure about it, look it up online and there are explanations of how to do it yourself. Otherwise you can go to a vet and have the vet clip the flight wings.

Keep hand feeding them as much as possible. Talk to them and spend as much time with them as you can. This plus the wing-clipping should really help, and don't worry, it's very unlikely it will affect the pair at all. They can still breed and hatch out their own eggs with clipped wings.
thumbsup.gif

Good luck and I hope your parakeets get to be parents, too! It's so fun to watch them feed the chicks when they hatch.
lol.png

their wings were clipped the day we purchased them about a month ago, I tried hand feeding them again a few minutes ago and to my shock the shyer of the two did this just long enough to take a picture then flutter back to the cage.

15667_100508-203929.jpg

Its not much but I guess it's a start, they get along great except when there is a hand holding yummy millet then Gywn turns into a little piggy and won't let Skittles near it. well I guess tonight she was full and only wanted a bite so Skittles flies up and hops on my finger with only a moments hesitation and starts eating. When I moved him out to take a picture Gwyn started having a fit.... guess she was hungry.
gig.gif

He is also a nibbler he would test my finger before stepping on to it I guess to make sure it was safe.

Edit to add

I read that Lutino/Albino babies result from one of the parents carrying the gene, My guess is that Stormy is an Lutino/Albino Spit meaning that he is carrying the gene but not displaying it. This also makes me think that Chester is a female keet ( see the third punnet square (A male split for ino budgie and a normal female) )
http://www.budgieplace.com/gen_ino.html

Also found out that there is no such thing as a white parakeet...
caf.gif
So Gwyn is either a double-factor spangle or a dark-eyed clear.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom