Paralysis in hen please please help

I am going to take her to the vet tomorrow. It looked like she was twitching earlier. But thank you.
Have you brought any new to you birds home in the last few months? She is having trouble breathing probably suffering. Have you thought about putting g her to sleep and sending the body to your state lab so you know exactly what you are dealing with? We can all continue to guess but none of us can tell you whats really wrong with her.

Have you brought any new to you birds home in the last few months? She is having trouble breathing probably suffering. Have you thought about putting g her to sleep and sending the body to your state lab so you know exactly what you are dealing with? We can all continue to guess but none of us can tell you whats really wrong with her.
I got some new chickens, but that's about it. We set an appointment at a vet for tomorrow. How would I put her to sleep, and if she is asleep, wouldn't she drown in her own fluid?

I got some new chickens, but that's about it. We set an appointment at a vet for tomorrow. How would I put her to sleep, and if she is asleep, wouldn't she drown in her own fluid?
I'm going to take a wild guess and say you might be dealing with Marek's disease which has no cure.
I meant kill the bird so it doesn't have to suffer any longer.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you might be dealing with Marek's disease which has no cure.

I'm not thinking it's Mareks. She's a 4 year old layer hen who looks bloated and way out of sorts. I've seen this too many times in old layers. They have heart/liver/kidney/reproductive issues, bloat up with ascites, can't pass stools, and die a painful death if not culled.

They often last in the condition seen in OPs video for 4-7 days and get weaker by the day. Once they're at the "can't walk, better hide in the nesting box" stage, it's far more merciful to end it for them.

At any rate, whether ascites or mareks, the prognosis is generally death. Best to make it quick and painless.

Or you know, with the very limited information we've received, she could just be broody!

Back
Top Bottom