Paralyzed hen

jillweese

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
So I find my hen with her head badly pecked by her coopmates, I brought her in and since then approx. 1 1/2 weeks, she eats, poops, drinks, feels very thin doesn't move legs, then on some days legs move, I think she is around 2 years old and I think I hatched her, so she wouldn't have any vaccinations. The other chickens are showing No symptoms but I did find one other chicken perished the day after, but she was purchased from Tractor Supply around a year old, so she would have had vaccinations. Any thoughts are appreciated. I have been putting B complex in her water also.

I worked with a small dog that had paralysis in the hind legs from being run over by a bicyclist. In addition to good nutrition, therapy by assisted and encouraged walking, massaging the hind quarters eventually gave the dog full use of its legs. It took close to 6 months, and perhaps she would have gained full use without me, but the vet told me what I did helped it. You can gently assist the bird with some therapy once a day. You could try a more high quality multi-vitamin supplement in the water such as Avian Super Pack 3 days a week, and you could add a 1/8 tsp of cod liver oil to an individual feeding once a week. Cod liver oil is good for joints and absorption of calcium, but you must use it in moderation because too much vitamin A is dangerous to birds.

Back
Top Bottom