Paralyzed(?) Wing? Anyone seen a case like this before?

bokbokbacab

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2020
I have a 23 week old barred rock pullet with a hanging left wing that I noticed at dusk 4 days ago (photo at bottom is from when I noticed it) .

The next morning I took her to an emergency vet who sees birds. There is no visible external injury and the vet said he did not feel a break when he palpated the wing. He did not do xrays because he felt they may not be necessary if it is just a soft tissue injury. She is still eating and drinking, and does not seem to have problems with walking or balance except as caused by the hanging wing.

The vet prescribed meloxicam for pain and sent us home to wait and see. She has been on the medication for about 48 hours. The wing has not improved and droops so low that her primary feathers cross in front of her legs sometimes and trip her up (I had tried to wrap it but she became very stressed and I will try again later). I think it may be paralyzed because she doesn't seem to move it at all. She is still eating and drinking, but she is lethargic and dozes off on her feet a lot. However she can still be roused and will get up and move around if she needs to. She still jumps in and out of the coop, too.

She has been vaccinated against Marek's (though I know this doesn't = immunity) and her flockmate (a buff orpington the same age) is showing no signs of illness.

Has anyone seen anything like this in their chicken? Were you able to figure out the cause? Have you seen a chicken recover from something like this? I'm trying to figure out the smartest way of going about getting further diagnostics from the vet. I would prefer not to pay $500 for x-rays if this is something more likely to be related to a disease or other malady...

Apart from the pain medication from the vet, I have also offered electrolyte solution (sav a chick), changed out their food for fresh food (just in case), and given b-12 vitamins in water. Is there anything else I might try?

wing droop.jpg

Last edited:
The vet prescribed meloxicam for pain and sent us home to wait and see. She has been on the medication for about 48 hours. The wing has not improved and droops so low
To me this is an indicator that the wing drooping is not pain related.. if it was you should have seen some improvement, IMO. A soft tissue injury should still see/feel some swelling, or heat indicating there was an injury there.

SINCE there has been NO improvement using the meloxicam.. I personally would stop it NOW and make sure it isn't masking other symptoms that me be trying to present.

Did you have a fecal float to check for internal parasites? What is regular feed including treats and supplement? You say she was vaccinated.. was this at the hatchery?

I would very seriously be questioning Marek's.. but that's just one thing can cause neurological symptoms.. if this is even neurological.

Also.. when the vet was palpating.. the pullet didn't give any pain response indicators then either??

Some birds hold there wings lower.. are you sure she isn't moving it at? Anyway you can post a video of her with you moving the wing or something?

If you're gonna give B vitamins.. complex will have MUCH more impact than 12.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-b-complex#overview

Adding your general location to your profile might help folks make their best suggestions possible at a glance...

If you really want to know what she's dealing with.. consider refrigerating and sending for necropsy if she passes, it's the only way to possibly get a full answer. Here in Ca it only cost $25/ 2 birds so it's often free or affordable to back yard keepers as a means protecting our national food supply chain. Links in case...
How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

State poultry labs

Hope she starts to thrive! :fl

Also, you seem fairly bright, so let me provide you with a few resources to review... Many of us cannot afford veterinarian care for our feathered friends and even when we can often don't get answers unfortunately. BYC has hugely helped increase the quality of life my birds are getting and also the quality of experience I am having as a keeper. Sorry you face something unknown! :hugs
Avian Disease Manual 7th Edition

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/challenges.html

Thanks so much for your reply and the links!

SINCE there has been NO improvement using the meloxicam.. I personally would stop it NOW and make sure it isn't masking other symptoms that me be trying to present.

I have been considering this and even waited an extra hour before dosing her this morning to see if her sleepiness is a side effect of the medication. It appears not though, as she was dozing off shortly after getting out of the coop this morning. I did give her the dose anyway, because I hate the idea of her being in pain. :(

Did you have a fecal float to check for internal parasites? What is regular feed including treats and supplement? You say she was vaccinated.. was this at the hatchery?

I have not had a fecal float and thought this might be a good next step just to rule out any internal parasites. At 18 weeks I started changing over from Purina Starter/Grower crumbles to Layer Pellets (also Purina brand), but then the girls started molting their tail feathers and they also had trouble with the pellets so I put a pause on that and they are on a mix of those two feeds at about a 2:1 ratio of crumbles to pellets. Treats have consisted of scratch grains (usually a handful between them both in the morning), occasional kale leaves from the garden, corn or watermelon, mealworms (though the barred rock actually doesn't like the worms!), and whatever bugs make their way into the run.

The affected bird has always been a good eater and is bigger and fatter than my buff.

Both birds were 15 week started pullets from Hoover's Hatchery, who advertises them as vaccinated against coccidiosis and Marek's, so I assume they were vaccinated on day one. But again I know that doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't have it.

Also.. when the vet was palpating.. the pullet didn't give any pain response indicators then either??

Unfortunately due to COVID I wasn't even allowed in the building during the exam so I am not sure if she had a pain reaction though he did say he thought it could be causing pain. So maybe?

I'll try to get some video of her today and post an update.

Adding your general location to your profile might help folks make their best suggestions possible at a glance...

If you really want to know what she's dealing with.. consider refrigerating and sending for necropsy if she passes, it's the only way to possibly get a full answer. Here in Ca it only cost $25/ 2 birds so it's often free or affordable to back yard keepers as a means protecting our national food supply chain. Links in case...

I'm in Washington State, so we are also battling unhealthy air quality, which is just icing on the cake with all this. 😩

And yeah, I do realize that often the issue can't be pinpointed until the birds have passed. :( I am planning to have a necropsy done if she doesn't make it. I just want to be able to do whatever I can to prevent this happening to any more birds! Or know that there was nothing I could do, if that was the case.

I know so many keepers have chickens who never have any major problems. It's so disheartening that this is happening to one of my first birds.😢

Again, I really appreciate all your help! Thank you again.

I just wanted to post an update in case anyone stumbles on this thread in the future and would like to know the outcome.

Unfortunately our Barred Rock, Eggs, continued to decline very rapidly. Yesterday morning she stopped showing interest in food or water. Though she could still stand and walk a little, she was spending most of her time lying down with eyes closed and breathing heavily. Her right wing began to hang very low as well by the evening.

I made the difficult (but correct, I think) decision to euthanize this morning. The vet is submitting her to the state laboratory for necropsy and I will update with the results when we get them, but given her symptoms and rapid decline we both suspect Marek's disease.

Very sad and a bit discouraged because she was one of our first birds, but I think it was just bad luck. :(

RIP Eggs, you were a pretty and sweet pullet. 💔
eggs.jpg

Unfortunately our Barred Rock, Eggs, continued to decline very rapidly. Yesterday morning she stopped showing interest in food or water. Though she could still stand and walk a little, she was spending most of her time lying down with eyes closed and breathing heavily. Her right wing began to hang very low as well by the evening.
Sounds like possible digestive or other internal issue.. possible symptoms of Mareks.

But yes, you did the right thing, even though I KNOW it was challenging. Sorry for you loss and experience! :hugs

I just wanted to post an update in case anyone stumbles on this thread in the future and would like to know the outcome.

I made the difficult (but correct, I think) decision to euthanize this morning. The vet is submitting her to the state laboratory for necropsy and I will update with the results when we get them, but given her symptoms and rapid decline we both suspect Marek's disease.

Very sad and a bit discouraged because she was one of our first birds, but I think it was just bad luck. :(

RIP Eggs, you were a pretty and sweet pullet. 💔
View attachment 2334783
I am sorry for your loss. You did all that you could for her, and I believe you made the right choice for her.
If you could, update this thread with a diagnosis when you get the results of the necropsy.

The vet was finally able to give me the results of the necropsy: they confirmed Marek's disease. Still waiting for the full report to be sent to me, so I don't have details of what they found beyond the diagnosis, but can update again once I get it if people are interested.

In a way this is a weight off because I know I did the right thing in euthanizing, since no other treatment would have helped. Also I know there is not much I could have done to prevent it either--she was already vaccinated, kept in a covered run without rodent problems or access to wild bird areas, etc. etc. Just bad luck. :( I'm glad I was able to love on her for the couple of months she was with us.

The vet was finally able to give me the results of the necropsy: they confirmed Marek's disease. Still waiting for the full report to be sent to me, so I don't have details of what they found beyond the diagnosis, but can update again once I get it if people are interested.

In a way this is a weight off because I know I did the right thing in euthanizing, since no other treatment would have helped. Also I know there is not much I could have done to prevent it either--she was already vaccinated, kept in a covered run without rodent problems or access to wild bird areas, etc. etc. Just bad luck. :( I'm glad I was able to love on her for the couple of months she was with us.
I am so sorry :hugs

Back
Top Bottom