Parish Council Treating Geese Poorly

BeytonGeese

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
Sadly, Beyton Parish Council in Suffolk purchased more Emden Geese after 7 were killed on the road and 1 by a dog. Unfortunately, they aren't looking after them any better than their first flock. The Youtube video below explains and shows how they are being treated. I am a concerned member of the public, and hope to find support from others

There are many problems with how the Parish Council perceive and treat these geese. Yes they have to cross that busy road to be able to drink from the stagnant dirty pond, its filthy. There is no feed given to the geese and they have to look after themselves. If there is a few days of rain the stream will run again and then it will be dry like it has most of the summer. During the winter when it freezes they will be without water until the pond melts.

People and dogs chase them, one was chased down and eaten alive by a dog until someone stopped the dog and then had the goose put down.

The Parish Council doesn't seem to want to feed or water the animals they bought and they are not willing to fence them in. Its a sad situation.
Sounds right up RSPCA´s street. If this were a private person, they´d be in there, so with a bit of support, they should be interested in the geese´ welfare too.

The Farm was opposite the village green on the side of the pond. It was torn down and is now a housing estate. The original flock would always be in the building site because they still viewed it as their home. The builder was going spare as they would always be making nests.

The road also wasn't as busy as it is now and they had food and water on the farm so didn't have such a need to be on the village green like they do now.

Times have changed and I wish the Parish council would see that.

Why not talk to this women who was in the article in the paper and others that live close by and see if they would be willing to care for the geese if the council would put up a fence Maybe they could furnish the money for proper housing and feed and those that would could take turns caring for the geese. If i was traveling to your Parish and saw these geese i would be very upset with the setup or lack of set up these geese have. It makes the parish look really bad and maybe that can be stressed to the council. Heaven forbid this happens but next time a dog or car kills one take pics and give to the local paper. Allso what the one woman said about not taking her child to the play ground because of all the goose poo is another valid reason for either finding these geese a good home on a farm some where or fencing them in.

Last edited:
The meeting was Monday and its been busy since. During the public forum the needs and the treatment of the geese were addressed by a concerned member of the public.

The parish council were asked questions about how they were going to care for the geese, they were told what needs to be provided to keep the geese safe and heathy.

They didn't even respond let alone reply. They ignored the questions and moved on. Sadly this isnt surprising.

I will have the youtube posting of the meeting shortly.
This is so sad, these people need to be ousted from their responsibility[what ever it maybe] Can the public pool their funds and take matters into their own hands like making a proper enclosure for the geese and buying feed and making sure they have fresh water? We had alot of building material donated to us by friends when we built our goose house just things they had laying around old windows from an upgrade lumber that had been given [alot of it was unusable but alot of it was] we had to buy some things but it's amazing what people want to get rid of just to tidy up, then they would need someone to build it but there is most likely men and women who could lend a hand. Maybe if they go to the council with the plan and material already to go and get it okayed by these "RSPCA" and the wildlife officer who said the counciil was doing a good job with these geese[joke of course] they would go for it. As long as they didn't have to foot the bill. It's too bad all these people who travel all over the world protesting couldn't try doing it for something worthy like these poor geese. If I lived closer....

Has to be some way to raise awareness of the plight of these geese, See if you can get the RSPCA to actually come out to the village and see whats going on.. This is pathetic.

I have read through this whole thread and to me these geese need to be taken away from this area period.
The RSPCA just need to go and take them away give the Council a hefty fine for neglecting the geese and ban them from every having geese there again!!!!!

I have read through this whole thread and to me these geese need to be taken away from this area period.
The RSPCA just need to go and take them away give the Council a hefty fine for neglecting the geese and ban them from every having geese there again!!!!!
I so agree with you RURU I wish they would actually go out to the village and see for them selves what is going on and listen to the public who cares about these geese. It's heart breaking.

Oh please, what a load of bs come on the only people these Geese are treated badly is by the lady who decided to live in the middle of the green which has a history of animals dateing back over 100 years. Please read the facts first. So the Geese that are very happy and roam free like any animal should.....
Proof? pics . fresh water and feed protected from passing cars when they have to cross the road? just because someone has a history of having animals for over 100 yrs doesn't mean the quality of life the animals had was good. Sounds like folks in the village are concerned for the welfare of these geese.

Back
Top Bottom