1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Parker, CO?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by suzanb, Mar 19, 2011.

1. VickiS

VickiS New Egg

Jan 12, 2013
    I'm from Highlands Ranch, also unincorporated Douglas County. We are allowed 4 chickens here, no roosters. The biggest drawback is that the coop needs Architectual Committee approval.
    Their HOA requirements are on page 5: http://hrcaonline.org/Portals/0/doc...nance/RIG June 2012 revision final draft.pdf .

I mention this because if a place like Highlands Ranch allows chickens, you should be able to convince the Stonegate HOA to adopt something similar.

I just joined BYC - I'm still in the "planning stage" on getting chickens and trying to convince DH.

Best of luck!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado

The only major thing I see about HR is that they don't allow ducks. For several people in Stonegate this could cause a big problem. Other than that I lived in HR so I'm excited they are allowing chickens!

3. trochefarm

trochefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Parker, CO
    I'm in Parker. So curious where some of the Parker chickens are.

I've had mine for nearly a year, now, and am so paranoid a disgruntled neighbor is going to complain and turn me in. Most don't care, and even love them. We have a couple of neighbors that look for excuses to cause problems. We are very diligent in keeping everything clean, but every time my girls let me know they've laid an egg, I expect someone to knock on my door.

I would love to meet fellow Parker chicken owners.

4. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado

Welcome! What kind of chickens do you have? I have a duck but I would love to have some chickens, it's just sad how outdated Parker's ordinances are.

5. trochefarm

Aug 19, 2012
    Parker, CO
    Hi! Thank you! Right now I have 2 Rhode Island Reds, one EE and one Aussie. Just ordered a Maran, Welsummer, and Faverolles from the feed store. I would LOVE to have ducks. I thought they would be louder then the hens, though, so I think I'll wait on those. Hubby and I just bought some land in Park County. Looking forward to being able to move down there in a few years. :) I plan to have a try at ducks and maybe turkeys.

Yeah. I agree with you about the city's ordinances. Frustrating.

6. trochefarm

Aug 19, 2012
    Parker, CO
    I saw the prettiest little flock of chickens out in someone's yard here in Parker. I'm not sure if they were intentionally out, or accidentally. They were pretty close to the road. (Ponderosa Road). But if the owner is out here on BYC, just want to compliment you on your beautiful flock! I wanted to get a picture of them, but didn't want anyone to think I was a stalker or something. [​IMG]

7. DoubleDamage

DoubleDamage New Egg

Apr 30, 2012
    We're in Parker as well. New chickies are in Murdochs now. We've started a Facebook page dedicated to getting chickens legalized in Parker called Fowl Freedom Forever. Lots of pics of chicks, homesteading, husbandry, and chicken rights posts.
    Like the page on Facebook. Haven't done this before but I thought if we could get enough support we could approach the city council.

8. trochefarm

Aug 19, 2012
    Parker, CO
    Have you gotten any traction on this? I really want to see something positive happen (on keeping chickens in Parker). I checked out the "Right to Farm" policy for Colorado, hoping I could find something to support our "cause", but even that slaps us down with the part about excluding corporated cities with specific laws against chickens.
    [​IMG]

9. DoubleDamage

DoubleDamage New Egg

Apr 30, 2012
    Slowly getting peeps to checkout the Facebook page but not much other than that. I was hoping we'd get more likes/followers but it's slow going.
    Haven't given up though and will continue to try to get support for the cause.
    I know a lot of peeps support, or don't mind our backyard chickens, but I don't want to approach city counsel to change the ordinance until we have some more backing.
    With summer coming hopefully will have more time.

10. Minchi

Minchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    Parker, CO
    This is so frustrating, I am trying to find an area in Parker to buy with my chickens... So many great home with a little land and yet no chickens.... GURRRR [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by