Parrot Contest CLOSED [currently being judged]

Quote:
Does she do okay with her vision problem? Anything special that you do for her care? She's a cutie!

Thanks! She does pretty well, just can't move her perches or food and water dishes. I give her a "friend" in the form of a feather duster, which she goes through several of each year when her and her friend get into fights...

Quote:
lau.gif
Sorry I can see her doing that now! Great idea though, I saw some nice natural feather dusters at Hannaford yesterday. I almost bought a couple just have around incase I decide to dust.

Quote:
I have kept single parakeets without a problem. They do seem to bond to their human family a little easier without a mate. I did let my parakeets have mirrors as they loved to sing to themselves and kiss the mirror. If the cere on the top of his beak is bluish or purple you in most likelihood have a male. If that turns out to be the case, they are great little singers. Mine would sing his little heart out, then turn around and look at me and go Chirp, Chirp, Chirp with a huge nod of his head. It was like he was looking for approval or praise for his performance.

this is sam, my dads blue and gold macaw
he talks, laughs, and is very loveable!!!
sam.jpg

here he is with my daughter, after not seeing her for 5 years, we went there and sam started blushing, and making noises, and went right to her. he loves her!!!
nikisam3.jpg

Quote:
That is an amazing story. Too often people get parrots before fully realizing what they have in store for them. My U2 was the same way as your conure- from the minute she met me it was over...she was my baby. She never bit anyone, and that is UNUSUAL for a cockatoo.

U2's have a bad reputation, but personally if a human had to live with a person they didn't care for, for the rest of their lives and had to depend on them for everything they needed to survive, they'd be nasty too.

I'm going to adopt another 2 soon. The Gabriel Foundation Aviary is about 5 miles form my house. I've been eyeing a few of the 2's they have on the website for months, but when it finally becomes the "right" time to adopt - I'm going to let the bird pick me.
smile.png

Who knows, it might not even end up being a 2. It might be something totally different.

Quote:
Oh, but they are Asher. Parakeet's are what got me into all this trouble with larger parrots. I loved the parakeets that I have had, a few of them even learned a few words. I really like their little morning song to the world. They are usually such happy birds. Post a picture of your son's new friend if you have a chance. I would love to see it.

Aw, thanks
smile.png
He's in a small cage right now, but that's the first priority this week, getting him a larger one. I didn't want to spook him too much by putting the camera in the cage so the pics are not good. He has let me touch him and is okay with it. From what I've read, they should have a pal, but then others say if you want them tamed and bonded to you, etc. they should remain single. What do you all suggest? I am fine with either, whatever is best for Fitch. It also said no mirrors for the same reason, but he came from a cage with lots of birds and seemed sad and bored so we went to the store and got some toys and this mirror b/c I thought it might help the adjustment. S/he's been standing there looking at it ever since (hours).

I know from research that s/he is young (under 4mths) due to the barring all over still.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/Asher78/Picture1467077.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/Asher78/Picture1467078.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f253/Asher78/Picture1467080.jpg

Pretty Birdy!

I would say she is a young female because of her creamy cere (the band above her beak)
As she matures her cere will turn a bit bluish-purple, and wen she is in top condition, it will turn crusty-brown.

Rio_Lindo_97 question? Have you found that to hold true with the majority of females? I find that very interesting. The only ones that I have had with blue have been males and the color went from cream to blue and stayed that way. Now that I look back at Asher's photo it looks more cream than blue right now.

I have never had any female parakeets, so I am really interested in the change in cere that you have seen. So will the blue be the same type of shade that the males get? Or is it the way that the color continues to change to brown that says female in time? Sorry, I'm not sure how to word the question.

This is Oliver, a Severe Macaw, age at least 30, sharing a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with my grandaughter, chloe. I got him 29 yrs ago when he was totally plucked, and was already an adult. He lived with me for a few years, then I gave him to my mother who kept him until she died 5 yrs ago. He will spend the rest of his days with me.

SHARING.jpg

Oliver and Petrie kissing. Petrie is a Sulpher Crested Cockatoo who is a feather plucker. The two just love each other.

BIRDS_KISSING.jpg

Ooooh, Such pretty birds!!!!

I have a few parrots but I'll post my favorite...shhhh, don't tell the others...hahaha :)
Waffles is a Hahns Macaw. He'll be three in Feb and I got him when he was 12 wks old. He's a sweetie to me and me only. He hates the hubby and growls at him. He hates him so bad that when I was out of town for a week, he had to go with me.

He's been talking since a month after I got him. He says so much I have lost count. His favorite words and phrases are "what r u doing"...I hear that non stop when cleaning. The past week he's been saying "Weeping"...sweeping b/c he can't do S's.
"I want taco"...his treat when it's time to go up. "I love you", nite nite turkey", "Come here" and his all time favorite is "momma" in many different ways. That words goes from sweet little Waffles to spoiled Waffles throwing a tatrum for me to come get him...hahaha.

He also barks, quacks like a duck b/c they are outside his window. He clucks like a chicken when I ask him what does a chicken say and when I ask him to put his foot on his face, he does:)

Well to his pictures now....I can talk about him all day...hahaha

Waffles10-29-08.jpg

Waf10-29-08.jpg

Can't chat about him and not show my portrait tattoo of him:) I got him on the inside of my forearm from elbow to wrist. This pic was minutes after it was done which is why it's so bright and dark.

WafflesTattoo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom