Parsley and Cilantro

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wekiva bird, Feb 16, 2011.

1. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    Can they eat fresh Parsley and Cilantro and bell peppers. A friend and a neighbor are bringing all kinds of stuff to me to give to the chickens . bags of kale , collards, parsley, cilantro, bell peppers. and Some stuff im using for myself. [​IMG] (do not tell the neighbors) .

2. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I get bags of veggie trimmings from a local seller and often there is parsley and other stuff like that. They gobble it all up first.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The greens will make the yolks really orange!

I've found they really won't eat much that's bad for them.
    Cept styrafoam.
    Then again, haven't had one die from eating that, either.
    Nasty, though![​IMG]

4. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Mine love anything leafy and green- parsley, cilantro, kale, spinach, any and all lettuces...

And what IS it with chickens and styrofoam? When we were finishing up their run last year, I put them out in a small wire pen at the bottom of the coop ramp and tried to block the top half of the pop door with a small styrofoam box. They went up the ramp into the coop just fine. And I later discovered they'd eaten about halfway thru the bottom of the styrofoam box! I would think after all the good stuff they get, the styrofoam would taste pretty bad!

Then again, I've never tried munching on styrofoam so I dunno- maybe it tastes really good?!?

5. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    Thanks, eveybody. that styrofoam [​IMG] I don't know why they do that but they do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by