Part of lower eyelid torn off - looking for advice on treatment

Cinnaminute

Songster
Aug 19, 2022
Georgia, USA
Hello, my feisty little Leghorn got hurt today. I doubt this taught her to stop seeking out trouble, but anyway I could use some advice please!

She got part of her lower lid ripped off. I noticed it probably about an hour after it happened. Seems to still be bleeding very lightly. I just flushed the wound about 30 minutes ago with some homemade saline solution, which clearly stung, but she looks to be doing okay so far.

I'd like some advice on what stuff I should start treating her with to prevent infection and speed up healing. I don't have much on hand for eye wounds but am very willing to go buy what's necessary for the poor dear.

photo_2023-12-13_18-12-18.jpg photo_2023-12-13_18-12-26.jpg

I've heard mixed info about using Neosporin in/around their eyes so I haven't done that. I have some off brand. Would this be okay to use on her eye?

[Edited to add photos of the ointment - my phone was dead so I couldn't get the pics right away]
photo_2023-12-13_18-44-30.jpg
photo_2023-12-13_18-44-34.jpg

Last edited:
Is your saline mixed 2 tsp of salt dissolved in a quart or liter of water? It is important to use that mixture for saline and boil it to sterilize it. You can also get eye wash or saline at the pharmacy. Flush it 2-3 times a day, and use Terramycin eye ointment if you can get it. The bacitracin would be okay if you can’t find that. Here is a similar thread about a torn eyelid:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/injured-eyelid-torn.1603921/

Thank you both so much! I'll get some Terramycin eye ointment as soon as I can. Very relieved to know I can use the ointment I have until then. I wanted to do more for her than just the saline tonight so figured I'd ask about it.

And yes, that's exactly how I prepare the saline mix. I found it in another thread on here (pretty sure a response you gave on the thread, actually) and used it when one of my hens got a slight eye cut. Seemed to do the trick since she recovered very quick. Nothing as serious as this, though.

Thank you again, much appreciated!

Is it normal for these injuries to bleed so much? I left her alone for a couple hours and returned to find her bloody. Most of it was dry and it looks like the wound scabbed up but one side of her looks normal and the other side is streaked with blood down to her wing. I guess she's been wiping it off.. I cleaned her up as best as I can then flushed her eye and added the antibiotic ointment. I'm afraid I must've irritated it since it's bleeding again now. I won't mess with it anymore tonight but I've separated her and going to keep her inside with me so I can monitor her.

Edit: I see that she has dried blood on her toenail so I think she's scratching it. Any suggestions for keeping her from doing this? Gonna scrub those feets for sure now to keep her from dirtying her wound any more than she has.

Just wanted to update for anyone curious that reads: she's doing great. Flushed her eye followed by some antibiotic ointment 3 times a day for 5 days. After that, I've checked on her eye daily. Once I saw some dirt, probably from dust bathing, so I flushed her eye that day and put some more ointment on it. She healed up really quick and is doing great! Thankfully her eye never got swollen or anything.

Thanks again for all the assistance!

The day after the injury [December 14th]:
IMG_20231214_155859412.jpg
Two weeks later [December 27th]:
IMG_20231227_172216100.jpg

Just wanted to update for anyone curious that reads: she's doing great. Flushed her eye followed by some antibiotic ointment 3 times a day for 5 days. After that, I've checked on her eye daily. Once I saw some dirt, probably from dust bathing, so I flushed her eye that day and put some more ointment on it. She healed up really quick and is doing great! Thankfully her eye never got swollen or anything.

Thanks again for all the assistance!

The day after the injury [December 14th]:
View attachment 3714378
Two weeks later [December 27th]:
View attachment 3714380
Glad she healed!

Back
Top Bottom