Partially impacted crop

It's been mentioned before that boiled rice with some raw egg is good whenever a bird has diarrhea. I have her pellet feed available but it's moistened with water to help increase her water intake. I'm not sure if her crop isn't emptying because she's getting a bit dehydrated from the diarrhea, or if something else is slowing her digestive tract. I suppose both issues could be the result from lots of different things. She's had some loose poop before but this is extremely thin and watery and flies out so much that I've got puppy pads on the walls to protect them. The coconut oil was helping to loosen her crop contents but they no longer feel firm any time I check. I am willing to try anything to help her so I'll see how she does with water and her Purina Flock Raiser Pellets for the rest of the day. I really hate seeing her so emaciated. I'm home so I'll be checking in on her in a minute.

Her crop still isn't empty. She was eating some of her moistened pellet food but I think she was trying to keep my Serama hen from getting it. Luna Petunia wasn't eating it like she was hungry. I'll see how she does with her pellets in their natural dry state. She hasn't touched the rice and raw egg. I add another drinker with some water + electrolytes, and leave the plain water with her also.

She's happily eating her dry Purina Flock Raiser pellets now. She finished the small amount of wet FR pellets a short time ago. I'll get pictures in a few minutes.
@Wyorp Rock I'm not sure to be honest but that's only because of molting. She's got a lot of pins and every time I check the puppy pad to inspect her poop, there's always a lot of casings all over the poop and pad. I think she's anxious to get back but at the same time, she doesn't want to have to avoid being touched. I apologize if I'm not making sense. Words are not coming to mind easily. I'm so sorry

Sharing some of Luna Petunia's poop. It's all splattered like this. She has had one day of at least two poops that were almost perfect in consistency. I believe it was the day after I did a molasses flush. Of course there's a chance that I missed any others. I don't notice any strange or strong odors.
20211122_122152.jpg

Sharing some of Luna Petunia's poop. It's all splattered like this. She has had one day of at least two poops that were almost perfect in consistency. I believe it was the day after I did a molasses flush. Of course there's a chance that I missed any others. I don't notice any strange or strong odors.
View attachment 2906238
Oh yeah - I recognize that poop. Also completely clear liquid poop.
I guess one thing I am not sure about is whether first thing in the morning her crop is empty. If not, I would keep with the coconut oil and the massage until her crop is completely empty in the morning. Once you are sure the crop is emptying and she is eating and filling it up during the day then you know something is working right and you can start worrying about liquid poop.
Sorry if I missed it, but what is her crop like first thing in the morning before she eats anything?

That's another concerning thing. I'm almost positive that her crop isn't emptying overnight. There's no way her crop got as full as it was this morning on the small amount of food she ate before I got to her. I need to get a functional crop bra asap because I'm anxious to see if that will help. I feel like it's definitely worth a try

@Wyorp Rock Guess what? Luna Petunia has only a very small amount, I mean someone that didn't know would think it was empty, in her crop this morning. I've put her with her flock and she's already bossing the underlings around 🥳 Her poop is still quite thin but I'm going to keep a close eye on it. I believe @RoyalChick hen had diarrhea for a while during recovery. I am thrilled with her crop!!! Thank you all so much! I remember reading somewhere about mealworms and BSFL possibly causing diarrhea. I'm not sure how reputable this information was because I can't remember where I read it. Have you heard this before? I probably need to make sure she doesn't get many, if any, for a little while, right? Thanks again everyone. I am so grateful for the help in our time of need 💜

Back
Top Bottom