Partially impacted crop

I will try the massage with water in the morning @Banana01 unless it's best done at night. I had many chores left to do at my Dad's so I didn't try with water. Do you tube the water into their crop? Does your birds crop feel like a normal crop, not solid or doughy but just won't empty? I'm willing to try whatever might help. Thank you

I did start Valblazen again. Since you have a bird that's similar, do you find it odd that she was gobbling up the Flock Raiser pellets? I'm certain she's hungry but it's like she's usually afraid to eat. Her crop isn't full though. Hopefully the diarrhea will be improved tomorrow and I'll try the water if you think it will help 😊 I apologize I was unable to do that tonight. I do appreciate your time and input

That is good and fine that she has an appetite, just help her by supplementing water with a dropper so she is going to bed with a more liquidy crop rather than solid. For some reason she is processing solid food slower, but if you make it soupy in her crop at bedtime, check it again in the morning and if there is food still left, give her water first thing in the morning again. My hen is somewhat picky and won't let me give her more than 20 ml, whereas other ones take 40 ml of water.

For some reason your hens ability to process food and water is hindered, but hopefully it is something that will pass and not going to be terminal. I think my hen has cancer or something wrong in her heart region, its like a solid growth, and she is older so my case may be terminal.

She may need you to supplement water twice a day for a while, until you are satisfied her weight is improving and she is eating and drinking consistently, and also her droppings should be solid again or normal like your flocks.

That is good and fine that she has an appetite, just help her by supplementing water with a dropper so she is going to bed with a more liquidy crop rather than solid. For some reason she is processing solid food slower, but if you make it soupy in her crop at bedtime, check it again in the morning and if there is food still left, give her water first thing in the morning again. My hen is somewhat picky and won't let me give her more than 20 ml, whereas other ones take 40 ml of water.

For some reason your hens ability to process food and water is hindered, but hopefully it is something that will pass and not going to be terminal. I think my hen has cancer or something wrong in her heart region, its like a solid growth, and she is older so my case may be terminal.

She may need you to supplement water twice a day for a while, until you are satisfied her weight is improving and she is eating and drinking consistently, and also her droppings should be solid again or normal like your flocks.
I didn't even think about her getting dehydrated from the diarrhea 😳 I left a quart of fresh water in her drinker and rice with raw egg in a bowl for her in her kennel. She's been doing really well with drinking but I'm sure she could use more than she's taking on her own. That definitely makes sense and I'll be sure to work on that as soon as I get back home in the morning. I hate that I didn't use my brain before now. I really do appreciate the input and advice. I'm anxious to get back to her

I didn't even think about her getting dehydrated from the diarrhea 😳 I left a quart of fresh water in her drinker and rice with raw egg in a bowl for her in her kennel. She's been doing really well with drinking but I'm sure she could use more than she's taking on her own. That definitely makes sense and I'll be sure to work on that as soon as I get back home in the morning. I hate that I didn't use my brain before now. I really do appreciate the input and advice. I'm anxious to get back to her
Get a 10 ml dropper and give her as much water as will go down her beak. I train mine to drink from the dropper, but you may need to get it in her beak somehow more sneakily until she figures out she is drinking water and after a few times, she should let you give her water without forcing. Feel her crop while giving water, you can feel the water mixing with the food, mix it up with your hand and keep going until it is liquidy. Good luck i hope to hear she is recovering and your dad as well.

I have the same situation also with a Cteated Cream Legbar. The vet recommended Gatorade to get over dehydration from the diarrhea and get some electrolytes and fast calories into her. Surprisingly she loved fruit punch Gatorade which I found quite strange but whatever works.
The coconut oil and massages worked after about a week to clear her crop and now she is much less lethargic and mainly producing normal poop.
She is still molting and none of my ladies eat normally when they molt so I still have the bag of bones worry.
I recommend weighing her every week so you can be sure she is going in the right direction. I hope it all works out.

The rice and raw egg looks to be a big hit. Unfortunately Luna Petunia discovered her delecacy before I got here this morning. She's about to finish it and it was probably a half cup of rice and an egg, so that's quite a bit for a bird that's unwell. In all honesty, my Serama hen, Marionette, is standing there watching every move Luna Petunia makes in eating her rice/egg mixture, so there's a chance Luna Petunia is only gobbling it down to keep Marionette from reaching her tiny head through the wires and eating it. She keeps pecking Marionette if she dares to attempt to sneak a bite of food. With her showing some aggression, I feel like that's a good sign that she's not declining more. Her crop looks very low hanging this morning so I think I should work on that crop bra sooner rather than later. She's drank a good bit of water, but I'll encourage as much as possible. I have found her hunched up (puffed up slightly but not like a very sick bird) a little bit but she doesn't stay in that position so I'm hoping it's because it's cool, even inside it's close to the same temp at this time as outside. Whenever I'm not working, I only use heat to keep stuff from freezing, nothing more. She's only got a half teaspoon left now and she's back at trying to eat it. Im not sure if I should let her eat Flock Raiser pellets today or make her mash to increase water intake. Last night she was crazy about the dry Pellets.

I also see some tail feather growth this morning, so her body is really working hard on multiple things. I will make sure she gets more time with her flock. Another thing I'm worried about is her getting bullied. With her molting, she screams and runs if anyone gets too close to her. I know she'd love to be with her flock, but with everything going on, I really worry about how she'll be treated. Her flock tends to be a rough bunch with each other, always has been. They're the youngest group I have and they're always working to move up the pecking order in all of the flocks as a whole, plus the pecking order within this small group is forever changing. Surprisingly my Polish hen is head hen but it's only because she pecks first and then evaluates the situation. My huge girl, Bonnie, is also in this flock and she likes to assert herself. I just worry about Luna Petunia since she's not 100%. I agree with her needing to be with her flock, but I have so many things going on, and just losing our favorite rooster 2 weeks ago, I am losing sleep over my birds. I really hope to get her back full time as soon as possible since that's in her best interest.

I have the same situation also with a Cteated Cream Legbar. The vet recommended Gatorade to get over dehydration from the diarrhea and get some electrolytes and fast calories into her. Surprisingly she loved fruit punch Gatorade which I found quite strange but whatever works.
The coconut oil and massages worked after about a week to clear her crop and now she is much less lethargic and mainly producing normal poop.
She is still molting and none of my ladies eat normally when they molt so I still have the bag of bones worry.
I recommend weighing her every week so you can be sure she is going in the right direction. I hope it all works out.
I'll have to pick up some Gatorade from the market later today. That's so odd that your bird is also a CCL. This is at LEAST the third CCL that I know of with similar issues. @azygous is the other one with CCL but her bird is doing much better after laying a soft shelled egg. I imagine CCL's are a popular breed and that's why I know of multiple unwell CCL rather than it being a breed issue. Sure is odd at first thought 🤔 I do need to get a weight on Luna Petunia to keep track. I try to not handle her too much because I'm sure it's very uncomfortable for her right now, but sometimes it's necessary and this is one of those times. I'll wait until I have to do something else with her to limit the number of times she's handled. I'm not sure what to feed her now. She finished her rice and egg and I'm not sure if she can have more of that or if I should offer the Flock Raiser pellets or a mash to increase water intake. I'm sure she'd love to have more rice and egg. Another molasses flush may be necessary but I'm not sure when the best time to do that.

Offer her some mash free choice, plain water and a little rice with egg. Continue with the coconut oil.
I would let her eat and see what happens.

Is she pooping?
I can see that she continued to have diarrhea throughout the night, but I am not seeing any recent poops unfortunately. She is trying to get the remaining teeny tiny bit of raw egg from the bottom of the dish. I'm going to prepare her rice/egg and some mash. Thank you so much

Back
Top Bottom