Partridge Penedesenca. Anyone have this breed? Would you recommend them?

bwalden.....great choice I have all three breeds and there is no way I want another Penedesenca! They are so high stung and won't get anywhere near me. Eggs are pretty and they lay well but no thanks. My Welsummers and marans are so sweet and calm and completely enjoyable if I had anymore room I would get more welsummers for sure.
Hmm They are not people chickens but not all are high strung.
I have crele and black penedesenca plus white empordanesa.
all are quite friendly just want to keep there distance which is what I prefer.
If you live in a hot area with predators Penedesenca have NO equal.
I have 4 large breeder runs and all mine will follow me around until I try and grab them of course.

Last edited:
I think it depends on how much time you want to spend hugging them or hanging with them? My kids are always picking them up so they are quite tame. Our rooster is one of our tamest birds.

I think it depends on how much time you want to spend hugging them or hanging with them?  My kids are always picking them up so they are quite tame.  Our rooster is one of our tamest birds.
Yeah I agree if you handle any breed they will tame down some. Of course some breeds are easier to tame than others. I've seen people say the same about Welsummers, they are flighty. I don't find this to be true. I and my 2 sons do handle ours quite a bit, so they are very docile.

Yeah I agree if you handle any breed they will tame down some. Of course some breeds are easier to tame than others. I've seen people say the same about Welsummers, they are flighty. I don't find this to be true. I and my 2 sons do handle ours quite a bit, so they are very docile.
I have also found with Penedesenca , most that say they are un handleable have never actually had them lol.
Yes they are flighty , but that is there greatest benefit . They are hands down the most alert chicken you will come across .
in the woods thats what you want

Back
Top Bottom