1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Partridge Rock and a ???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by stubbornhill, Jan 16, 2012.

1. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    I have a Patridge Rock roo and several different kinds of hens. I know that a Red Sex Link is created from two different breeds. And that is where my knowledge on chicken genetics ends.[​IMG]

If I hatch eggs from my roo and Rhode Island Red, Australorp, White Legern, Speckeled Sussex, what will I get? A bunch of mutt chickens? (And don't get me wrong, I am ok with that, just wondering)

Thanks a bunch!

2. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    The RIR will result in alot of Red Quills,
    the Australorp, with Black hens, and Copper Roos
    the White Leghorn with Sexlinks! (hens White-laced partridge, the cocks whitish)
    and the Speckled sussex with more Red quills

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    There wouldn't be any sex-links out of your crosses.

Partridge Rock rooster over -
    Rhode Island Red Hen - Red offspring with little to no Black ticking
    Australorp - Black offspring males having some gold in hackles, wing bow and sickles
    White Leghorn - White offspring may have some Black ticking
    Speckled Sussex - Offspring should be poor Speckled/Spangled pattern to Red with random White and Black ticking.

Chris

4. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Thank you both for sharing! I really don't like paying for chicks/eggs to hatch when I have a quite capable roo and hens to create their own incubating eggs for me. However, some days, I think that I want a flock of true breed chickens. Guess I have to make up my mind what I want! [​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

You can use a Partridge Rock roo to make sex links, but you need a hen that either has the silver gene or a hen that is barred. None of your hens meet that criteria. All you'll get is mutts. Mine are all mutts by the way.

6. Ducks and Banny hens

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Aren't White leghorns White-based columbian?

7. Ducks and Banny hens

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    There Dominate White.

Chris

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    When you cross a Partridge Rooster over a Rhode Island Red Hen there offspring in most cases are
    EWheb Coco+ db+db+ Pgpg+ ml+ml+ Cha+Cha+ Mhmh+ di+di+ Ig+Ig+ cb+cb+ i+i+ bl+bl+ Lav+Lav+ C+C+ Mo+Mo+ b+- s+- Choc+-

White Leghorns are Dominate White

When you cross a Partridge Rooster over a Speckled Sussex Hen there offspring should be split for Mottling
    EReb co+co+ Dbdb+ PgPg Mlml+ Cha+Cha+ Mhmh+ di+di+ Ig+Ig+ cb+cb+ i+i+ bl+bl+ Lav+Lav+ C+C+ Mo+mo b+- s+- Choc+-

Chris

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  10. ChickenAddict92

ChickenAddict92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Oh boy, Partridge Rocks are some of my faves . . . so pretty! I'm getting some chicks in March, as well as some Australorps, they're cute too. And RIRs are always good to have around . . . you have a good eye for breed choices!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by