Partridge Rock and a ???

stubbornhill

Songster
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Shapleigh, Maine
I have a Patridge Rock roo and several different kinds of hens. I know that a Red Sex Link is created from two different breeds. And that is where my knowledge on chicken genetics ends.
smile.png

If I hatch eggs from my roo and Rhode Island Red, Australorp, White Legern, Speckeled Sussex, what will I get? A bunch of mutt chickens? (And don't get me wrong, I am ok with that, just wondering)

Thanks a bunch!

Ducks and Banny hens

Songster
8 Years
Nov 22, 2011
On a little Farm.
I have a Patridge Rock roo and several different kinds of hens. I know that a Red Sex Link is created from two different breeds. And that is where my knowledge on chicken genetics ends.
smile.png

If I hatch eggs from my roo and Rhode Island Red, Australorp, White Legern, Speckeled Sussex, what will I get? A bunch of mutt chickens? (And don't get me wrong, I am ok with that, just wondering)

Thanks a bunch!

The RIR will result in alot of Red Quills,
the Australorp, with Black hens, and Copper Roos
the White Leghorn with Sexlinks! (hens White-laced partridge, the cocks whitish)
and the Speckled sussex with more Red quills

Chris09

Circle (M) Ranch
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Ohio
There wouldn't be any sex-links out of your crosses.

Partridge Rock rooster over -
Rhode Island Red Hen - Red offspring with little to no Black ticking
Australorp - Black offspring males having some gold in hackles, wing bow and sickles
White Leghorn - White offspring may have some Black ticking
Speckled Sussex - Offspring should be poor Speckled/Spangled pattern to Red with random White and Black ticking.

Chris

stubbornhill

Songster
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Shapleigh, Maine
Thank you both for sharing! I really don't like paying for chicks/eggs to hatch when I have a quite capable roo and hens to create their own incubating eggs for me. However, some days, I think that I want a flock of true breed chickens. Guess I have to make up my mind what I want!
wink.png

Ridgerunner

Crossing the Road
12 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
I have a Patridge Rock roo and several different kinds of hens.  I know that a Red Sex Link is created from two different breeds.  And that is where my knowledge on chicken genetics ends.:)

If I hatch eggs from my roo and Rhode Island Red, Australorp, White Legern, Speckeled Sussex, what will I get?  A bunch of mutt chickens?  (And don't get me wrong, I am ok with that, just wondering) 

Thanks a bunch! 

You can use a Partridge Rock roo to make sex links, but you need a hen that either has the silver gene or a hen that is barred. None of your hens meet that criteria. All you'll get is mutts. Mine are all mutts by the way.

Ducks and Banny hens

Songster
8 Years
Nov 22, 2011
On a little Farm.

Isn't Red Quill {eb/eb; Pg/Pg; Co/Co; Mh/Mh}?

Australorp - Black offspring males having some gold in hackles, wing bow and sickles

That's what I meant by Copper

As I said above, aren't Leghorns {eb/eb; Co/Co; S/-; I/I}?

Speckled Sussex - Offspring should be poor Speckled/Spangled pattern to Red with random White and Black ticking.

And doesn't mottling only appear in adolescents with one dose?

Chris

Chris09

Circle (M) Ranch
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Ohio
Originally Posted by Chris09

Isn't Red Quill {eb/eb; Pg/Pg; Co/Co; Mh/Mh}?

That's what I meant by Copper

As I said above, aren't Leghorns {eb/eb; Co/Co; S/-; I/I}?

And doesn't mottling only appear in adolescents with one dose?

Chris
When you cross a Partridge Rooster over a Rhode Island Red Hen there offspring in most cases are
EWheb Coco+ db+db+ Pgpg+ ml+ml+ Cha+Cha+ Mhmh+ di+di+ Ig+Ig+ cb+cb+ i+i+ bl+bl+ Lav+Lav+ C+C+ Mo+Mo+ b+- s+- Choc+-

White Leghorns are Dominate White

When you cross a Partridge Rooster over a Speckled Sussex Hen there offspring should be split for Mottling
EReb co+co+ Dbdb+ PgPg Mlml+ Cha+Cha+ Mhmh+ di+di+ Ig+Ig+ cb+cb+ i+i+ bl+bl+ Lav+Lav+ C+C+ Mo+mo b+- s+- Choc+-

Chris

Last edited:

ChickenAddict92

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 14, 2012
Upstate NY
smile.png

If I hatch eggs from my roo and Rhode Island Red, Australorp, White Leghorn, Speckeled Sussex, what will I get? A bunch of mutt chickens? (And don't get me wrong, I am ok with that, just wondering)

Thanks a bunch!

Oh boy, Partridge Rocks are some of my faves . . . so pretty! I'm getting some chicks in March, as well as some Australorps, they're cute too. And RIRs are always good to have around . . . you have a good eye for breed choices!

Top Bottom