PARTRIDGE ROCK - - Breeders - - show us what you got . .

Yep, they can out broody a silkie beacuse of their size.
big_smile.png
Truely I would put them as broody as a silky just from what I have heard from others not to mention what I had happen here this year. Very good mothers too.

I just got my order in from Cutlers and set up nest boxes hoping to trigger egg laying again. If that does not kick them in then it is off to buy cat food. They have such a mix here I know protien levels are down. Which is not a problem but I want eggs for xmas.

Quote:
My two partridge rocks are from ideal too. These are the best foragers I have. It is like they live for the hunt of something - - anything.

Mine are just POL. When did your girl go broody the first time ??

Quote:
That is why I wanted to start this thread up. I wanted a place where we could "specialize" in this variety of the plymouth rocks. They are "rare" and information is scarce on them. This is one of those heritage fowl that needs to do more advertisement. . . . A lot of people have not even see a photo of them and shocked at how pretty they are when they finally get to see them

I think pictures are worth a million words and I home to get some pictures posted of what a "good" partridge pattern would look like. Do you have any that you could post ? ? ??

partridgewyandottefeathers.jpg

Anyone who would like some articles on how to breed this color pattern send me a private message. We have about four articles on how to breed this most difficult color pattern. It looks pretty on pictures in catalogs but when you get the chicks from the hatcheries their is not contest for to the pictures.

In our Plymouth Rock Club we have only two three members who breed bantams or large fowl. Of all the color patterns this color pattern is the least popular. Why difficulty to breed the color pattern and lack of supply from breeders. They are so rare I dont think there is more than 75 birds alive in the USA during breeding season. I found a old strain in Indiana in Bantams and got a pair in the hands of a good breeder this year at the Ohio National.

I sure hope some one will come foraward to say they got some large fowl from Joel Gilman from Virgina who advertises in the Poultry Press.
My friend Anthony in Penscola Fla has a breeding pen of these birds from Dick Hortsman.

bob

Ok I'm reviving this thread.. for those of you who don't live in the VA area, you might not know that Joel Gilman hosts what has become a MASSIVE chicken sale/swap each spring and fall. The spring sale was this past Saturday. I went for the first time as a seller, and did great... I had been looking to add some rocks to my flock, but wanted specifically the partridge and silver penciled rocks. And thanks to this thread, I found out Joel has the partridge! I was beyond excited.. so at the end of the day I tracked down Joel, who showed me all his 3-day olds.. I was able to take home some lovely partridge rock chicks! (I live not 5 minutes from Joel's farm). So I am beyond excited to grow these birds out. He gave me his cell and said to call so we could talk rocks, and to see his breeders. I can't wait!!! I really want to learn more about breeding these birds, so I'm glad I have someone knowledgeable so close to me. I have some great silver penciled rock eggs arriving this week too.

Glad to see you re-activate this thread. . . . I just have a couple of hatchery PR, but they are the ones that people ooooh and awwww over when they come and visit me.
This variety of the rock family is often overlooked and yet is so beautiful!

These girls would rather free range than do anything else.

Quote:
Well, I'm glad to hear Joel is doin well.

I'd tried to contact him, to no avail
hmm.png

Kinda tweaks my nurple a bit

Last edited:
It is good to hear that many are interested in this color variation. We have another thread going on it also. I have had some first hatchings here and have more on the way at end of month. My neibor is interested in these now also, or should I say his eldest son. So I will be sharing offspring with him. I do not think I will get into another breed even though it has crossed my mind. This one just does so well here. Once I get their size bred up they will be perfet for us.

DFcottage please give us the date, time and location for swap. VA is right next door to me. I will probably have to add new roosters this next year since flock is down in numbers.

The next swap at Joel's isn't until Sept 17th. I hope to be heading back there this weekend to chat with him. His farm is located in Glen Allen, VA, just north of Richmond. If I recall correctly he also had some black langshans and australorps there, I'll have to keep my wallet in check when I visit
smile.png

On a side note, is there any 'easy' way to sex the PR chicks? When I picked up my first 4 from Joel I noticed that 3 had more of a pattern on their faces, while 1 had less of a pattern and more white on the chest/belly. Is this just a variation? Can they be sexed like welsummers at this age? I have good luck feather sexing but these guys were a few days too old to do that.

Back
Top Bottom