Partridge Rock Thread

Pics
Praise the Lord
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
. God gave a %100 hatch rate
celebrate.gif
. Now all I have to do is; raise them up, find out which ones I want to cull as they grow, and begin the process all over again. Whew .......... that sounds like alot. I am really trying to improve shape this hatch. My good friends just got the standard the other day, so I now know exactly what I need to do rather than just listen to other people's opinion of what the birds should look like
smile.png
. Anyway, how's everyon else doing?

I didn't do well hatching eggs last year so I ordered chicks from Dick Horstman coming the end of January Im wanting to start showing and breeding them I do have a pair good enough to show so I'm hoping for more

Wishing lots of good luck getting in chicks that early Lotsapaints.

Chickenfarmer glad to hear you have access to the SOP. It is not as in depth as the Old Plymouth book but the SOP has changed little since those days. Here is another book many of us breeders use to guide us in selection. http://books.google.com/books?id=DiJDAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA11&lpg=PA11&dq=walter+hogan's+the+call+of+the+hen&source=bl&ots=bbgAoSj67F&sig=i3M-cdxtofdZYMdn5IkMGKTRpok&hl=en&ei=bom5Sr2sBYyTtgej78D4Dg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#v=onepage&q=walter%20hogan's%20the%20call%20of%20the%20hen&f=false

OK that was a long link. LOL

The quality of Dick's birds is amazing compared to what I first had and they are still wonderful layers. I'm getting an egg everyday sometimes the one hen takes a day break after she lays a turkey sized double yolker they just started laying in November. I hope they will go broody this summer as I love to have momma raise her own.

I just got my chicks from Dick today.. LOVE them!!! PR's and SPR's. They're still sitting in my office here at work so gonna get them home in an hour and get em some nommy foods. He shipped them with a heat pack and they seem very content.

Finally, look what I got from my Partridge Rock today..first time egg! Yes, she is a very big girl...
007-12.jpg

Yes.. a double yolker!
008-6.jpg

Here she is last month, she's a big girl...I thought she would lay this month or next, but when I went to check after seeing her in the next box, I expected a nice "little" pullet egg. Will watch her, she is doing fine so far.
011-1.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Tyler,

Are those your PR chicks on CraigsList? I'd like to talk to you about getting some if so. Congrats on your 100% hatch!!!

ETA: I know it's unlikely since you just hatched on the 19th, but someone in Senoia is selling PRs, Birchen Marans, BRs and Partridge Cochins. Wanted to get in on it if that's you
smile.png

Edited again to add: Keep me posted as you decide to cull!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Hi Blazer..I think you are the one that helped us know the coloring on Rocks when I posted these pictures on another thread. Sounds like you know your Rocks pretty well. I really would like to get a penciled girl..
If I were to buy eggs from someone, or to buy chicks from someone, do you have any suggestions? That has the penciled.

Quote:
I'm hoping they are, I just know they can lay a huge first large pullet egg..did you see that egg? Now, if she will just lay at least 5 times a week, that would be great..and, they don't have to be that large.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom