Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

You will get black offspring. Anytime you breed a Lavender to a non-lavender bird or non-split to lavender bird you will get black. That has been my experience with breeding my Lavender Orpingtons.

Best place to see results of color crossing is at: http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm

Quote:
Yes I am in Australia, My silkies are bantam and I know the trick of artificial insemination.

Beth G. :

You will get black offspring. Anytime you breed a Lavender to a non-lavender bird or non-split to lavender bird you will get black. That has been my experience with breeding my Lavender Orpingtons.

Best place to see results of color crossing is at: http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm

Quote:
Yes I am in Australia, My silkies are bantam and I know the trick of artificial insemination.

That really depends on the e-allele of the lavender bird (getting black). You certainly will not get lavender offspring in the first crossing unless the other parent also suppplies a gene to the offspring. Leakage is likely, even if the bird IS black.

Sorry Sonoran I guess we will have to agree to disagree b/c I've been breeding lavenders for the past 4 yrs and never had the leakage you speak of.
Quote:

That really depends on the e-allele of the lavender bird (getting black). You certainly will not get lavender offspring in the first crossing unless the other parent also suppplies a gene to the offspring. Leakage is likely, even if the bird IS black.

Went to take some pics of the Silkies today, but with the nice warm weather and the 40mph winds, I didn't get very far! My guys are right at 6 months now, and boy have they all grown up! The girls started lsying at 23 weeks! I'm pretty sure, that out of the 8 girls I have, at least 5 of them are laying. I am getting 4-5 eggs every day! At any rate, I did manage to get a pic of my ham, "Frankie", who I should've named "Pork Chop"!
lol.png
What a tank he is, and round as a whiskey barrel. While everyone else was flitting around in the wind, Frankie always obliges me with an aloof pose. He was hatched as a chipmunk, but now looks more Buff than Partridge, although he does have it in his wings and tail. He is a sweet butterball, and very nice to the ladies.
big_smile.png

56168_sdc13250.jpg

Quote:
Yeah, there doesn't look to be anything partridge about him anymore. He's a cutie though standing up all straight and tall for his photo. I do love the gentlemen. I have been blessed with 6 boys that are very nice to the ladies. No bald heads. And yes, I have to admit there are couple that I have to AI to make sure they are getting the job done, but over all just sweethearts.

Beth G. :

Sorry Sonoran I guess we will have to agree to disagree b/c I've been breeding lavenders for the past 4 yrs and never had the leakage you speak of.
Quote:

I think Sonoran intend with leakage (on Black or lavender) the gold or the Silver depending on what the bird is based, most likely for partridge ground-color but also for Extended Black when there are no black intensifiers.

Oh ok well, I get it now but I only use black to get splits and work with Lavender so all I can say is I've never seen leakage on them or the Lav offspring.
Quote:

I think Sonoran intend with leakage (on Black or lavender) the gold or the Silver depending on what the bird is based, most likely for partridge ground-color but also for Extended Black when there are no black intensifiers.

Beth G. :

Oh ok well, I get it now but I only use black to get splits and work with Lavender so all I can say is I've never seen leakage on them or the Lav offspring.
Quote:

Yes, I was referring to gold leakage from the cross to a partridge. Some lines of black have a lot of leakage, others very little, but in either, a cross to partridge would almost certainly reduce melanizers that help prevent leakage.

Back
Top Bottom