Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

So I have a question. I have an all black pen and am getting these little odd colored babies. I searched the internet and from what I can tell they are blue partridge. Can anyone confirm it? If you know genetics could you tell me how it is I am getting partridges out of an all black pen? Is partridge like chestnut in rabbits and dominant over everything else and if both parents are carriers it shows up?

Baby 1 (I have two colored like this right now)

Baby 2

wow! these are amazing birds!

i'll hopefully be getting a partridge chick today or tomorrow.
love.gif

So I have a question. I have an all black pen and am getting these little odd colored babies. I searched the internet and from what I can tell they are blue partridge. Can anyone confirm it? If you know genetics could you tell me how it is I am getting partridges out of an all black pen? Is partridge like chestnut in rabbits and dominant over everything else and if both parents are carriers it shows up?

Baby 1 (I have two colored like this right now)

Baby 2

partridge is pretty recessive. It requires the brown (e^b) base, which is the most recessive base excluding recessive wheaten, and the pattern gene, which is dominant. Black birds can be built on any base, and my guess is that all or most of yours are built on e^b

Silkies do so much better in a Silkie group. Have you others? The photo looks like there may be another Silkie in the shot? When one of my Silkies goes broody its contagious and the other Silkie will share the nest with her. I understand Dominique bantams are good broodies also and as many as 3 hens will brood a nest together just like Silkies. Of course, Silkies are more popular and easier to obtain but if you can get Dominique bantams they are very sweet and excellent broodies too.

The bantam Orpingtons are also notoriously very broody.. Speaking from experience!

Silkies do so much better in a Silkie group. Have you others? The photo looks like there may be another Silkie in the shot? When one of my Silkies goes broody its contagious and the other Silkie will share the nest with her. I understand Dominique bantams are good broodies also and as many as 3 hens will brood a nest together just like Silkies. Of course, Silkies are more popular and easier to obtain but if you can get Dominique bantams they are very sweet and excellent broodies too.

Quote:
All bantams are notoriously broody. However, I understand the bantam Leghorns and bantam White Plymouth Rocks not as much and are pretty good layers. I am trying to get some pullets in the next year or so to try them out as excessive broodies wear me out since we don't breed chicks. The bantam Legs will probably be on the smaller side of Silkies but the bantam WPR is in the same weight range as Silkies so hoping they have eggs equivalent in size to Silkies. I have always been impressed with our Silkie-sized eggs at 1.25 to 1.5 oz.

Back
Top Bottom