Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

Took updated pics of my Magnolia Silkie partridge pair:
Jake the roo:

Flo the pullet:

12 week picture. And we have a half sized hen now. Her feathers are still coarser than an adult's, but that will change. Can really see the camo ability of partridge in this picture.

12 week picture. And we have a half sized hen now. Her feathers are still coarser than an adult's, but that will change. Can really see the camo ability of partridge in this picture.

Absolutely LUV Partridge sweeties! Still waiting on all my camera accessories to arrive before I start taking photos. The last of the items should be here end of next week and then I'll feel comfortable using all the nonsense like filters, cases, disks, tripods, and such!
ya.gif

Find a nice spot where you can bring the chickens up to your level. It makes life easier. Silkies are pretty easy to get to pose. Remember that the sun goes behind you whenever possible.

Thx for the tip and am sure I'll do that often - yet sometimes I like to catch them doing their chickeny things non-posed. Yep, the poses and lighting are always a factor. I'm more concerned about learning the operation of the Canon more than posing the chickens.

I started with a Brownie 12-exposure film in the 1950's, graduated to Super 8 then 8mm film, cropping and splicing for my Mom in the 1960's, then my ex-DH got an Olympus then Nikon 35mm's in the 1970's and while he screwed around w/ micro and macro lenses I was happily using my disposable 35mm cameras (remember those back when?), and then years later my DD gifted me a very nice Nikon P&S which I love for the basic quality of pics except for the slow focusing. This new Canon EOS will probably be my last w/ only new lenses to purchase should I want -- but really it should last me to my grave LOL! There's not a whole lot of new technology to add to cameras to make the added expense worthwhile for the time being. T3 photos are just as gorgeous as mirrorless photos -- it's just how much does one want to spend for a swing-out LCD screen, USM or STM technology, etc, features which have very little to do with consumer photo-quality outcome.

I remember a 1978 motorhome vacation to Utah where my then 8-yr-old DD took a snapshot w/ my very old Brownie camera of a shepherd crossing a highway w/ a flock of white sheep and she accidentally happened to catch diffused sun rays streaming directly over the flock and I swear it looked like a Christmas card with the Star of Bethlehem over the animals! Having a good camera w/ bells & whistles is a convenience tool for the user but the ability of the photographer to catch a good shot is attributed more to talent than the equipment used. You have that natural talent which includes love of the subjects and patience w/ the subjects photographed. My camera accessories are dribbling in slowly w/ the main bag/case and cleaning kit arriving end of next week. Then I'll get serious! It's been pouring cats-and-dogs for days and continuing through the weekend so not too many photo op's lately - still using the Nikon!

Here's my 3 girls hiding under the eaves behind the coop! Sprinkles are always an invitation to splash and play but the downpours have kept these girls wisely dry under our patio roof. We are so glad we invested in the patio roof and raised concrete floor for the coop.

The rain is pouring from the patio roof and pooling up the entire yard making mini-swimming pools in the garden beds!

The backyard shows rain splatters on a dirt yard made into a swimming pool!

We have two seasons here. 2 months of around 80° mostly dry summer and 10 months of rain. Sometimes there are a couple cold weeks with snow

Back
Top Bottom