Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

This is my buddy Bubba!

Don't you just love them?

We have two seasons here. 2 months of around 80° mostly dry summer and 10 months of rain. Sometimes there are a couple cold weeks with snow

What kind of housing accommodations do you have for your birds to keep them comfortable through your "two seasons" (teehee) that keeps them cool or dry depending on forecasts?

Silkie pens are each 10x20. The pens open to a 20x20 fenced central area that has grass so that each pen can alternately "free range". They have dog houses to sleep in. Wind break cloth around most of the perimeter. 10x10 roofs over each pen, plus the 8x10 tarps to add more rain protection (sloped so any wind goes over). So there is plenty of shade and areas of sun when we have it. Heat isn't usually an issue here. The small fence panels I move around so I can divide up the center area and open more than one pen at a time.

Silkie pens are each 10x20. The pens open to a 20x20 fenced central area that has grass so that each pen can alternately "free range". They have dog houses to sleep in. Wind break cloth around most of the perimeter. 10x10 roofs over each pen, plus the 8x10 tarps to add more rain protection (sloped so any wind goes over). So there is plenty of shade and areas of sun when we have it. Heat isn't usually an issue here. The small fence panels I move around so I can divide up the center area and open more than one pen at a time.

I love the sturdiness and reconfiguration possibilities with your kennel panels. We had a 4x8 ASPCA roofed dog kennel with 2' wide panels and loved it so much that we went with even stronger 4x4' panels when we ordered our Barn Coop. Nothing short of a grizzly bear can tear it apart! The sucker is HEAVY!

I love kennel pannels. I can move everything if I want to. I need to put the hardware cloth around the bottom. It's waiting in the shed for me to finish.

I love kennel pannels. I can move everything if I want to. I need to put the hardware cloth around the bottom. It's waiting in the shed for me to finish.

Panels are the greatest -- both our pen and coop walls are connected with easy to remove giant hinged screws/bolts - one top and one on bottom of each panel. As the walls come together the hinge on each panel lines up with the adjacent panel and a giant bolt slips into the connecting hinges. So easy to assemble and disassemble:

Putting the coop and pen on a roofed patio slab also keeps out digging critters and easy to hose away clean once a week. With the pouring rain we're having this week it's been nice to go out to the coop under a roof to open the nestbox.

In yesterday's downpour the girls spent most of the time under the coop patio to stay dry! We can hose down the cement slab next week when the rain stops. There's nothing so pathetic as a drenched Silkie so I don't mind them having to use the patio to stay dry. My smallest Black Silkie is prone to CRD issues in inclement weather so having the birds out of cold wet mud puddles has been a great help. They might miss a week of foraging in the dirt but they've got ALL summer to dig and dust-bathe!

LOTS of rain in SoCal!

OUR FRONT YARD

WHAT'S LEFT OF THE GARDEN BED - ROOF WATER IS KILLING IT

A COUPLE HENS CAME INTO THE KITCHEN FOR SOME TLC & TREATS

I HAD TO LAUGH AT OUR PARTRIDGE - SHE LOOKS LIKE A BEARDED RUSSIAN WEARING A COSSACK USHANKA HAT!

Back
Top Bottom