Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

Silkies pose and I like taking pictures. There will be more. Just not her weekly growth.

I think one of the chicks is a blue partridge, or close to it. She's one of two I've thought were female since 3 weeks. Very feminine. I'll probably do a comparison picture between them soon since the other is a normal partridge.

How does a "Blue" Silkie happen?  Is it a fluke or is there a knowledgeable genetic pairing of parents?

Knowledge. They are black birds. It's an incomplete dominate gene that modifies black. One copy gives blue and two gives splash. I didn't think my blue X partridge cross hen was laying when I collected the eggs for the hatch. One of her wings is split so I wasn't planning on ever using her for any breeding. This little chick has perfect wings though.

Last edited:
Education time! Normal wing versus split wing (missing or underdeveloped axial feather). I took pictures because I was talking to someone about it.

First a normal wing.

Split wing

what is a split wing?

Yes I was being lazy and didn't want to type it all out with pictures again. It doesn't hurt the birds but is a disqualification

Knowledge. They are black birds. It's an incomplete dominate gene that modifies black. One copy gives blue and two gives splash. I didn't think my blue X partridge cross hen was laying when I collected the eggs for the hatch. One of her wings is split so I wasn't planning on ever using her for any breeding. This little chick has perfect wings though.

So, basically, the Blue Silkie is like any other BBS (Blue/Black/Splash) mating -- and if a Blue Silkie is crossed w/ a Partridge Silkie the Blue Partridge offspring can occur? You must show pics -- BBS birds are gorgeous and having a Blue Partridge is really pretty.

I saw a Cuckoo Silkie on The Old Farm House website and they are so very adorable too. We once had a crazy mean Cuckoo Marans hen that was a vicious bird and it took a long time for me to warm up to Cuckoo patterns but then we got our cute-sy docile Cuckoo Breda and I like the look again. It's easy to fall in love w/ a pattern when you love the bird.

BREDA AND SILKIE - docile birds

I finally got all my camera equipt accessories and was counting on the rain to stay indoors and play w/ it -- but darn it! We've been having beautiful sunny 70o days and I've been out taking advantage to do gardening before the next rainfall next Monday. I'll play w/ the camera when it does rain - Smiles

If you cross blue and partridge, you get a blue or black bird with heavy leakage.

The chick I have right now is the result of crossing that back to partridge. I can't wait until she is old enough to really see her coloring. So far she looks like she's very close to being actual blue partridge.

Cuckoo does weird things with silkie skin as it effects pigmentation. I had bought a splash hen that took me forever to figure out why she had irregular white and black splotches over her skin. Breeding her to a blue rooster, she had a blue cuckoo son. That solved that question. That's why there is comb color issue on the cuckoo silkies. People are working on it though.

Nice on the camera. I do the opposite here, but then I usually shoot outside and ignore rain. Something you kind of get used to here. You can keep the 70°. That bodes for a hot summer. I'll keep our
40° highs and 80° for a few weeks summer

If you cross blue and partridge, you get a blue or black bird with heavy leakage.

The chick I have right now is the result of crossing that back to partridge. I can't wait until she is old enough to really see her coloring. So far she looks like she's very close to being actual blue partridge.

Cuckoo does weird things with silkie skin as it effects pigmentation. I had bought a splash hen that took me forever to figure out why she had irregular white and black splotches over her skin. Breeding her to a blue rooster, she had a blue cuckoo son. That solved that question. That's why there is comb color issue on the cuckoo silkies. People are working on it though.

There are a lot of color varieties w/ Silkies that aren't listed in the ABA like Calico or Cuckoo etc. Doesn't make them any less sweeter but I can't help it -- I find the standard Partridge beautiful and unique enough for my taste and so very practical for free-ranging. I've watched how quiet, dainty, and lady-like our Partridge is and wondered if that was a common Partridge personality since our Black Silkie is an opposite OCD spunky little squirt!

She went broody on two of her owns eggs but I was lucky enough to have found her some Silkie and Showgirl eggs and she readily accepted them......

0.jpg

She went broody on two of her owns eggs but I was lucky enough to have found her some Silkie and Showgirl eggs and she readily accepted them......

0.jpg

Ouch! 14 eggs? I was advised that 8 was a more practical number for a little bantam to set. That's going to be quite a chore for the little girl to keep turning 14 eggs for incubation. W/ Silkies, they'll set on anything but practicality says 8 or even 10 is more than enough. Still, it's cute to see your video about the intense broodiness of a Silkie. Have you moved the Partridge roo out of her pen?

Ouch! 14 eggs? I was advised that 8 was a more practical number for a little bantam to set. That's going to be quite a chore for the little girl to keep turning 14 eggs for incubation. W/ Silkies, they'll set on anything but practicality says 8 or even 10 is more than enough. Still, it's cute to see your video about the intense broodiness of a Silkie. Have you moved the Partridge roo out of her pen?

She`s only on 12 and he is still in the pen......

Back
Top Bottom