Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

Hi! Does this young lady look like a blue partridge? I have a blue, but she looks a bit different. Not sure what to call this one..

The pin feathers growing out in the crest are so cute! Pretty color but I have no idea what to call all these new mutations people are breeding except to say they are gorgeous!

Miss Fanny, my son's blue partridge that was part of a best of show pair.

Glad your son got recognition for the Silkies -- pretty birds!

I have a partridge Silkie cockerel. He is about 9 months old and has been successfully covering two old silkie hens and a small bantam cochin hen. Their run is about 12' x 14'.

I've two young pullets one is a partridge sizzle and the other a partridge silkie that have been raised together (at least I am hoping they are pullets - no combs or waddles developing thus far) that are in a run inside that run so I can introduce them into my small flock. The pullets were hatched 4 1/2 months ago. They are not laying or doing anything that definitive that tells me they are boys or girls. Right now, I really feel they are girls.

So, today, it was observed that the cockerel and the sizzle were throwing themselves at each other through the fencing that is separating them. By the time I was able to get out to the chicken run, they had stopped. I've been putting them next to each other for about a week now and have never seen ill behavior. I watched them for a while and they never started up again.

Is this normal?? My intention was to integrate them with the others in the near future - probably when they show signs of sexual maturity. May be a few months before they are completely together.

Advice?? Thank you

I have a partridge Silkie cockerel.  He is about 9 months old and has been successfully covering two old silkie hens and a small bantam cochin hen.  Their run is about 12' x 14'.   

I've two young pullets one is a partridge sizzle and the other a partridge silkie that have been raised together (at least I am hoping they are pullets - no combs or waddles developing thus far) that are in a run inside that run so I can introduce them into my small flock.  The pullets were hatched 4 1/2 months ago.  They are not laying or doing anything that definitive that tells me they are boys or girls.  Right now, I really feel they are girls.

So, today, it was observed that the cockerel and the sizzle were throwing themselves at each other through the fencing that is separating them.  By the time I was able to get out to the chicken run, they had stopped.  I've been putting them next to each other for about a week now and have never seen ill behavior.  I watched them for a while and they never started up again.

Is this normal??  My intention was to integrate them with the others in the near future - probably when they show signs of sexual maturity.  May be a few months before they are completely together.

Advice??  Thank you

Some of my older girls will challenge roosters for dominance but I've never had younger ones do it. Post a picture of your young birds and we should be able to get an idea on the sex at this age on a partridge.

My almost 16 week old cockerels have been trying their luck on some of the hens and have been getting their butts handed to them. They are too afraid of the roosters to challenge them.

So one of the collapsed pens is back up and whole. Took metal poles from both pens to get one good roof. I'm working on a pvc roof for the other so the 6 week olds can go out there. The bachelor silkies can stay in with the big girls. Maybe I can get some EEs out of them after they convince some of the girls to squat

Here is the 9 month cockerel and the 4/5 month old sizzle pullet

The partridge sizzle is with a "partridge" silkie - or that is what the breeder told me. She did have a slight stripe down her back. Now she is pretty gold in color.

The cockerel was sparing with the sizzle pullet in the photo - not the young silkie pullet in the photo.  so confused...

Yes that's a female coloring on the sizzle. Just wanted to make sure of the sex. She must have a very dominant personality. If they have been introduced for long enough, I'd supervise some together time. Let the rooster established his dominance but not go on to be abusive.

Thank you. So relieved it is a girl. I'm thinking once she is sexually mature, the sparing will cease? She is so gentle with me and the other pullet. The behavior is surprising. And it was thru a fence. Little stinker doodle.

About 11 days til hatch.....

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom