Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

Hi just thought I'd add my CocoPuff to the lineup on here and see how he does lol he's my sweetie boy he's a little short of 2 years old. We are thinking of giving him some ladies of his own and are wondering what would be good? All opinions welcomed!
smile.png
(hope I did this right lol)

We loved our Partridge cockerel -- he sounded like a Trumpeter Swan so we named him "Trumpet." We had our cockerel only about 6-7 months before re-homing him so we never got to see him fully adult-feathered but he was a colorful juvenile. We thought maybe his comb was not mulberry or dark enough to use for breeding. Also, I didn't think bearded males were supposed to show wattles like your boy?

He needs some nice partridge girls. Black if you can't find partridge. It's not quite right but messes with the color the least and can improve the black areas. Bred back to partridge, they would have nice offspring.

What do you think about CocoPuff's comb color w/ wattles showing? Are these ok traits for use in breeding? He's a beautifully colored boy but the comb and wattles threw me.

Comb could be darker but you work with what you have. Would want to breed to a hen from good comb color lineage if possible. I've been working on it on my roosters. It's a fight. My white sport actually has the best comb color.

Small wattles are common on bearded silkie roosters. Those do look more like a non-bearded size.

Standard of Perfection says for wattles; Bearded - very small, concealed by beard, natural absence preferred

This is one of my culls (color and comb aren't up to snuff).

All of mine are about this size on the wattles. My goal is to just consistently breed a bigger beard to cover them more.

Yay! Thank you thank you for pointing us in the right direction!! lol we're kinda stumbling our way through. We did almost get a beautiful partridge girl for him at the Newnan ga show/swap but we took one more turn around the place to make sure she was the one and BOOM there she went lol and so did any second runner up ones we looked at just in case xD. Did get a cute blue pullet for our blue roo though and an entire FLOCK (10 chicks) of English Orpingtons lol. Way too much fun at that place. Too much trouble to get into ;)

Comb could be darker but you work with what you have. Would want to breed to a hen from good comb color lineage if possible. I've been working on it on my roosters. It's a fight. My white sport actually has the best comb color.

Small wattles are common on bearded silkie roosters. Those do look more like a non-bearded size.

Standard of Perfection says for wattles; Bearded - very small, concealed by beard, natural absence preferred

This is one of my culls (color and comb aren't up to snuff).

All of mine are about this size on the wattles. My goal is to just consistently breed a bigger beard to cover them more.

I don't breed but I read that breeding non-beard to bearded Silkies is what gives a half-beard look that doesn't cover wattles. Why would people cross-breed like that, I don't know. I hope you can get those issues fixed w/ your Partridge project. The Partridge are so special!
Thx for the input about wattles on Silkie roo's. I never had a roo and gave away any cockerels I had before they reached adult so never noticed any wattle growth. Most photos I see of Partridge roo's combs including the cockerel we once had all seem to lean toward more red than SOP standard. Do you notice that too? My Partridge hen got abused by a Cuckoo Marans hen years ago who picked her bald and chewed off her comb -- the crest grew back but not the comb so she has none left for me to see what color the Partridge hen comb is:

The girls dont have much of a comb if any usually. All my hens have is a slight bump at max.

Some of my roosters just aren't as good on beards. Others have very nice beards. That's why you select the best to breed from or show. Most just never meet the standard well enough.

All the boys have been outside and it's been wet and muddy. Some have been hen groomed (they pluck beards) by the EE hens. A nice bath and blow dry would really make the beards stand out.

This guy has started to molt but his beard is still pretty good and not too matted. He's uninterested in large hens so they leave him be. He looks hilarious with this shot.

These are the teenage cockerels so their beards aren't as matted yet.

Back
Top Bottom