Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

Hi all, I am wondering what you think about the gender of this partridge silkie. My guess is male, I know you can tell by coloring but I'm still not sure, this is my first partridge. He/she is 13 1/2 weeks old. Thanks for any guesses.

Thank you, It's hard waiting to find out with these silkies so I've been observing and making my guesses. I figured at least with the partridge others may be able to tell and it sounds like he may be male. The others aren't partridge, well one is but she is very light and different (blue cream I've been told). I think I have 2 males and 4 females which isn't too bad at all. Love this partridge his colors are so nice. They are hatching eggs I bought from a breeder when one of my adult silkies wouldn't stop being broody so I let her hatch them!

Thank you, It's hard waiting to find out with these silkies so I've been observing and making my guesses. I figured at least with the partridge others may be able to tell and it sounds like he may be male. The others aren't partridge, well one is but she is very light and different (blue cream I've been told). I think I have 2 males and 4 females which isn't too bad at all. Love this partridge his colors are so nice. They are hatching eggs I bought from a breeder when one of my adult silkies wouldn't stop being broody so I let her hatch them!

That was nice of you to give your broody eggs to hatch. I let my hens brood "empty" nests and after a couple weeks they get it out of their system and return to normal in the flock again. I have no outlet for surplus chicks so don't hatch eggs. My Silkie hens are 5 and 6 yrs old and aren't any worse for never hatching eggs. We collect eggs rapidly so the Silkies have no eggs to "steal" or sit on.

We let two of our three original silkies hatch eggs for the experience and also educational for our kids. The third silkie wasn't quite so overwhelmingly broody which was a good thing. Now I just take eggs from them as soon as I find the silkies with some, we have room for more birds but no more roosters. It was definitely a fun experience.

We let two of our three original silkies hatch eggs for the experience and also educational for our kids. The third silkie wasn't quite so overwhelmingly broody which was a good thing. Now I just take eggs from them as soon as I find the silkies with some, we have room for more birds but no more roosters. It was definitely a fun experience.

I would love the space to let our Silkies hatch a couple eggs but I have no outlet for finding homes for chicks. It must've been great to watch your kids see the hatching experience first-hand!

Yes all the pictures like this are because it's been constantly raining and I don't feel like setting up a backdrop or the camera inside.

The blue partridge at 7 weeks

Hi just thought I'd add my CocoPuff to the lineup on here and see how he does lol he's my sweetie boy he's a little short of 2 years old. We are thinking of giving him some ladies of his own and are wondering what would be good? All opinions welcomed! :)(hope I did this right lol)

The last shows just how goofy he is lol I accidentally set him down that way and he didn't care :lol: he stayed there for a good 6-7 minutes lol!:lol:

Last edited:
He needs some nice partridge girls. Black if you can't find partridge. It's not quite right but messes with the color the least and can improve the black areas. Bred back to partridge, they would have nice offspring.

I have to comment that I had forgotten what silkie rooster spurs look like. The line I have now doesn't grow spurs.

This guy is 2.5 years. You can see the little spur bud behind his back toe.

Ignore the mud please. We've had lots of rain lately.

Back
Top Bottom