Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

@Hilly78
  Partridge Silkies make nice photo subjects.  Nice pics.

Thank you I'm going to experiment with different color backgrounds. I have four hens total I would love to get them all in a photo together.

Light tan or cream work well. White is too light. Brown blends too well with partridge. I like blues as well. They don't make the birds color seem off and are very different from any chicken color. I haven't found a green I really like yet. I need a darker, more natural, earthy green I think.

Indoor lighting sucks. Try a directional desk lamp shining from behind you in addition to the overhead light. More light is better. Flash can be touchy. I have to use a diffuser or it washes the bird out.

My favorite is outside on a bright, cloudy day. No shadows and good lighting. Natural light just turns out best.

Oh and get them up off the ground for pictures. Silkies will usually stay put if up on something. That's why I like tree branches.

You may have to keep putting them back into place a few times, but they will eventually stay.

ETA: Take pictures where they CANNOT see their coop.

Last edited:
I can't remember how long this took to set up. Probably at least half an hour. Had to go catch birds and put them in the spots. 6 was pushing it since they get tired of it eventually and start looking for a way down and I'd have to go put them back into place.

I use sports mode on the camera to prevent blurring, and multi-shot on both camera and cell camera. Take a lot of pictures and one should turn out. I'm not really that good at the camera. I take 100 pictures to get one good one sometimes.

This one looks more natural, like they put themselves there, but it's the same deal.

I can't remember how long this took to set up. Probably at least half an hour. Had to go catch birds and put them in the spots. 6 was pushing it since they get tired of it eventually and start looking for a way down and I'd have to go put them back into place. I use sports mode on the camera to prevent blurring, and multi-shot on both camera and cell camera. Take a lot of pictures and one should turn out. I'm not really that good at the camera. I take 100 pictures to get one good one sometimes. This one looks more natural, like they put themselves there, but it's the same deal.
Those are really great photos! I absolutely live all the chickens on one chair!

Nutmeg and Cinnamon
1f60a.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom