1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Parvo!!!!!!! how to sanitize without bleach UPDATE.....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by cheapcheap_jeepjeep, Feb 24, 2009.

1. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    One of our new puppys(GSD) has parvo. I got her to the vet asap as soon I say her not acting herself. So far vet said we were loking good as we caught it early. Now to CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN, but how to clean the carpets and not use bleach? Our daughter as asthma and bleach is not a friend to her or I. Iwas think a vinigear mix.

Any Ideas Thanks so much..........

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  2. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    I think I would have asked the Vet instead of asking here. Give him a call in the A.M.!

3. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Hydrogen peroxide is a natural sanitizer, even better than bleach

I know that lysol spray has an odor...but what about the new clorox spray?

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I worked in vet clinics for years, and I have had a pup with Parvo- vinegar will not do the trick. I used a LOT of Lysol spray. Which is not asthma friendly either. You didn't say, but I am hoping the pup is at the vet clinic- it takes 24 hour care to get them through Parvo virus. I think your best bet is to leave the dog at the clinic, spray everything with a heavy dose of Lysol and keep your daughter away while it airs out. Be careful, and good luck!

5. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Alcohol...70% isopropyl or ethanol. It will not bleach carpet, but it might stain. Hydrogen peroxide is likely to bleach carpet. Most of the labs I've worked with have either disinfected with bleach or alcohol.

6. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    Thanks all . I am not looking toward all the cleaning of carpetsand that I just did that Friday [​IMG]

7. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    ammonia

8. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    Ranchhand yes she is at the vet they were ginving her I-V fliuds as I left. My hubby is so upset its his baby

9. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    oxine will kill the parvo and is safe in the home..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by