Passing the torch--who's the next head hen?

piminuse

Songster
Jul 17, 2020
Portland, OR
Our head hen passed today (a very dumb misdiagnosis from myself and an overly enthusiastic remedy applied by my husband), and we're wondering when the remaining gals will figure out her absence and the shift in pecking order will occur. She was in quarantine for one day and we don't have any roosters. Curious to see who will climb the ranks.

Thanks!

Im sorry for your loss.

Normally the second in command will become the head, though sometimes the whole pecking order will reset in a different order and a random bird will become the head.

Thanks for the condolences. RIP, Bluebell. You were a good yardbird.

Do you know the approx time frame the transition will happen? The first day of her quarantine they all huddled around her "sick bay" and seemed kind of lost without her. She was a very good at keeping an eye on any dangers and corralled everyone to the best patches of grass. I don't want a bunch of birds haplessly milling about.

Thanks for the condolences. RIP, Bluebell. You were a good yardbird.

Do you know the approx time frame the transition will happen? The first day of her quarantine they all huddled around her "sick bay" and seemed kind of lost without her. She was a very good at keeping an eye on any dangers and corralled everyone to the best patches of grass. I don't want a bunch of birds haplessly milling about.
It depends on a lot of factors, but it can take anywhere between a day and a few months, but normally within the course of a week or so. They will grieve her loss for a few days, then they will either simply move up one spot in the pecking order or rearrange the whole thing, the latter taking longer than the former.

Back
Top Bottom