Passing trait

I would like to cross a sumatra to my Swedish Flower, so the rooster would have a bigger longer tail. Well that's the plan, but I want to retain the single comb and not the rosecomb.

I'm thinking I would need to have the F1s cross back the Swedish flower to give me the look I'm looking for.

Or would that remove the tail trait?
I'm just using rational guesses at this point to map out my plan.

I would like to cross a sumatra to my Swedish Flower, so the rooster would have a bigger longer tail. Well that's the plan, but I want to retain the single comb and not the rosecomb.

I'm thinking I would need to have the F1s cross back the Swedish flower to give me the look I'm looking for.

I'm just using rational guesses at this point to map out my plan.
Sumatras actually have pea combs.
You could just breed the F1s together. You could select for longer tails and single combs.
Or you could just order a Phoenix from the hatchery, which would be by far the fastest way do it. Cross it with the Swedish Flower and there you go. But why do you want to cross with a Swedish Flower anyways?
Isn't there like 3 different genes involved?
One being a non-molting gene?
The non-molting gene is only found in Onagadori as far as I know, but there is more than one gene involved. Certainly, the offspring won’t have tails quite as long as their father.

Last edited:

Sumatras actually have walnut combs, a combination of rose and pea combs.

Sumatras have PEA combs.

If you cross the F1 back to the Swedish Flower, about 1/2 of the chicks should have single combs, and some of those should have long tails (obvious in the males, but you may not be able to tell among the females.)

you could just order a Phoenix from the hatchery, which would be by far the fastest way do it. Cross it with the Swedish Flower and there you go.

I agree with Amer that it would be easier to start with a Phoenix, which has a single comb.

Quote from a different thread:
There are 2 genes. Gt and mt
The Gt gene (dominant) allows continual growth in tail and saddle feathers.
The mt gene (recessive) allows certain tail and saddle feathers to be nonmoulting.

Of those two, the Sumatra would only have the Gt gene, and it's dominant.
So you can tell which roosters have it just by looking at them once they reach a certain age.

For any mixed-breed rooster with a long tail, you can expect about half his sons to have a long tail as well. If he's got two copies of the gene (one from each parent), then he will pass it to all of his chicks rather than half of them.

Females can have the genes for long tail, and pass them to their chicks, but because they don't get the really long tails, it's harder to know which tail gene they have.

Sumatras actually have walnut combs, a combination of rose and pea combs.
You could just breed the F1s together. You could select for longer tails and single combs.
Or you could just order a Phoenix from the hatchery, which would be by far the fastest way do it. Cross it with the Swedish Flower and there you go. But why do you want to cross with a Swedish Flower anyways?

The non-molting gene is only found in Onagadori as far as I know, but there is more than one gene involved. Certainly, the offspring won’t have tails quite as long as their father.
I like the look on the sumatra tail, it's semi long and full, and I'd like to have something similar. I have thought of using a Phoenix but the tail looks stringy to me and it's natural behavior seems more on the aggressive side which I don't want.

The chickens I have now are very docile and I don't want to change that.

Having a Swedish flower rooster with a long beautiful tail, would just be for myself and a pet. I have no intention of selling crosses.

Back
Top Bottom