Passive or aggressive?

philintheblank

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 27, 2011
Edmonton
what is your prefered method of dealing with predatore attacks?
would like to hear a bunch of different solutions that everyone has come up with
for the various kinds of creatures that have wreaked havoc.
share your stories please.

It really depends on your location, resources, the local predators, how close your neighbors are, your ethics, how strong your stomach is...
cool.png

As for four and two legged predators, I trap or shoot. The latter is the prferred. And yes the two legged predator gets the same treatment as the four, just have to do it gently. Any winged predator is protected under law, so they get a pass.

Good hardware cloth, skirt the bottom (don't dig it in), and wire the top on runs for open coops, for 24/7 protection

Or have a securable coop that they can roost in at night and net the top and skirt for day time hunters.

traps and guns....although it does make me feel really bad to shoot a caged animal (from a hunting backround, its just unsporting)... but it needs to be done when i see footprints all around the coop knowing its only a matter of time.

I think that good perimeter security is the best bet -- strong fences and secure enclosures, etc. Least amount of long term effort, after the initial investment and work. And against some predators (e.g. hawks), it's you're only real (legal) option.

Hey Y'all,
I live in the country and I know there are predators out there, but I don't see themn much. I have apretty secure run and coop, but I also have invested in these Solar Nite eyes to repel predators. Here's a link where you can read more about them. If you decide to order them, tell them you saw their ad in GRIT's Backyard Chickens mag for a discount. http://www.solarniteeyes.com/

Back
Top Bottom