Past Broody Phase, still not laying

bluey

thootp veteran
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
Washington, PA
Our chicken (1 year old) has been pretty productive, laying 4-5 eggs/wk until she got broody about 2-3 weeks ago. She sat on the nest for about a week. I opened up a window in the coop and she eventually left the coop about a week and a half ago. She was noticeably thinner. She's a free range chicken and she is eating heartily (layer feed and all the bugs she can eat) and seems to have gained back the weight but still hasn't started laying again.

Can anybody give me a timetable in which chickens start laying after they come out of broodiness? I'm a total newbie, so assume I know nothing.

Thank you so much for the quick responses! I don't have a rooster, so I'm guessing the only way to prevent the broodiness is to religiously take the eggs every day? She had two in her nest box when she went broody.

Even with no eggs in the nest box some hens will still go broody...not sure why
hmm.png
But yes, i've read removing the eggs as often as possible does reduce the chances of a hen going broody.

Last edited:
Hi bluey, and welcome to the BYC!
frow.gif

The longer your chicken is broody the longer it takes for her to start laying again. If you break her early (1st week) by placing her in a cage or somewhere w/no mulch so she can't "nest" you can usaully break her in 2-3 days and she will start laying again about 2 wks. later. Wait her out for the 21 days and it will take her about 3-4wks.
to begin laying again.

I'm very glad to have found this thread because I had heard or read 2 to 3 weeks. Now I won't panic if it takes four weeks! Thanks all of you experienced folks!
smile.png
Does anyone know how long after a hard molt it takes for a laying hen to start laying again????

I've had buff and blue orps take up to 2 months before they start laying again after going broody. Some with chicks took longer even...

Does anyone know how long after a hard molt it takes for a laying hen to start laying again????

Seems forever!
tongue.png
I hope someone has a good answer for you. I have three of my best layers molting heavily and is seems those new feathers are takng forever to get back in. I am giving them extra BOSS and vitamins but those feathers seem to be taking their good time filling in. SIGH!​

Someone posted on one of my old messages that the reason a hen takes a while to start laying again is so she can raise her chicks to where they won't need her anymore...... or about 4 weeks. So even if she doesn't actually hatch her eggs her body doesn't really know it and gives her mommy time. It made alot of sense to me!

Cyndi

Back
Top Bottom