Pasturing Turkeys

VT-510

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 8, 2012
Is it okay to pasture turkeys (3 month old) in a field that has had chickens (both broilers and layers) pasturing on?
The guy I got them from said that the feed that I give them needs to be medicated for fear of "Black Head"(?) disease, a transferable disease from chicken to turkey. Is this true?

Yes blackhead is real and can be a deadly disease for turkeys. It is commonly transmitted from chickens to turkeys(if it is a concern in your area) you can contact your state agricultural office and find out. Lots of people put chickens and turkeys together while others do not. I dont have mine free ranged or housed together though their houses are only about 15 feet from each other and the chickens are always pecking around the turkeys enclosure, I havent had a problem yet. They do sell turkey feed that is medicated for blackhead I buy mine at Blue Seal.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. I have put my turkeys in a house that was used by my new layers while they were getting to the other hens. Right now the turkeys are in a 5'x 10' run attached to their coop, in the middle of a 30' x 80' bird fenced in area where I chicken tractor my broilers around and house my layers.
I spread a layer of wood chips on the floor (over the grass) of the repurposed coop, but I'll get them to their own fresh pasture asap. Was just planning on feeding them garden scraps until tomorrow, they have been getting the medicated feed, they'll be fine for 24 hours , won't they?

Back
Top Bottom