Pasty Bum Help

Lmfletcher

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hello,

I recently added a buff orp into our brooder with our other chicks, at first the buff was a bigger than the current chicks So initially bullied them and pecked at their faces. A week later, said buff chick has pasty bum, hasn’t grown at all and will cry Loudly on and off through the day. now all the other chicks are noticeably a lot bigger than the buff chick and none of the others have pasty bum.
I have cleaned every few hours it’s bum to keep the vent clean and applied vaseline, given nutri drops as suggested from reading which does perk it up for a little bit but still cries . It still eats and drinks, cuddles the other chicks and follows the group around the brooder, although just sits and cries. I have lowered the heat pad cause I thought it may be cold, the others seem fine.
because it’s kind of stopped growing, still pooing And eating and drinking, I’m just wondering if there’s anything else I can try ? At least to stop the crying bit, the other chicks must be getting fed up of it :(

thanks 🙏

I have read that you could try feeding some scrambled egg or a mashed up yolk of a hardboiled egg. If the rest of your chicks are thriving, then it may just be an underlying condition with that one chick, unfortunately.

What has the temperature in the brooder been under the pad?
I’m not sure thr temp but the others in there with it are all healthy and happy and they don’t seem to hot or to cold. This chick has just stopped growing and literally sits and cries all the time , its bizarre, it still looks like a week old chick when it’s actually three weeks nearly. It’s almost half the size of the others :/

I have read that you could try feeding some scrambled egg or a mashed up yolk of a hardboiled egg. If the rest of your chicks are thriving, then it may just be an underlying condition with that one chick, unfortunately.
I think it is, such a shame cause it was absolutely fine. Gave it scrambled eggs, didn’t eat it , banana and even yogurt and nothing, it just stands and stares at it . I feel a bit sad for it :/ I clean it every few hours as well and pop some vaseline around its bum to stop the poo sticking but no improvement at all

I think it is, such a shame cause it was absolutely fine. Gave it scrambled eggs, didn’t eat it , banana and even yogurt and nothing, it just stands and stares at it . I feel a bit sad for it :/ I clean it every few hours as well and pop some vaseline around its bum to stop the poo sticking but no improvement at all
I'm sorry for your Buff, my Buff is now having some lethargy issues and I am on the brink of concerned. I picked up Poly Vi Sol (must be without Iron) to give to mine. I plan to give her one drop a day for 5 days and see if she perks up a bit more. Maybe you could try that for yours? It can't hurt because I think all the vitamins in there are water soluble! Good luck with your Buff, I really hope she pulls through!

I'm sorry for your Buff, my Buff is now having some lethargy issues and I am on the brink of concerned. I picked up Poly Vi Sol (must be without Iron) to give to mine. I plan to give her one drop a day for 5 days and see if she perks up a bit more. Maybe you could try that for yours? It can't hurt because I think all the vitamins in there are water soluble! Good luck with your Buff, I really hope she pulls through!
Oh wait sorry just re-read your post and saw that you gave nutri drops.

Hello,

I recently added a buff orp into our brooder with our other chicks, at first the buff was a bigger than the current chicks So initially bullied them and pecked at their faces. A week later, said buff chick has pasty bum, hasn’t grown at all and will cry Loudly on and off through the day. now all the other chicks are noticeably a lot bigger than the buff chick and none of the others have pasty bum.
I have cleaned every few hours it’s bum to keep the vent clean and applied vaseline, given nutri drops as suggested from reading which does perk it up for a little bit but still cries . It still eats and drinks, cuddles the other chicks and follows the group around the brooder, although just sits and cries. I have lowered the heat pad cause I thought it may be cold, the others seem fine.
because it’s kind of stopped growing, still pooing And eating and drinking, I’m just wondering if there’s anything else I can try ? At least to stop the crying bit, the other chicks must be getting fed up of it :(

thanks 🙏
I would love that thing all the time. Keep it warm in your lap, your pocket, a sweatshirt hood. Keep up with the NutriDrench (I use it in chicks' water for the first month or so - just enough to make their water look like weak tea - and change that daily).

I had a Cochin who acted exactly the same. Here she is now. Not the best layer, but super sweet and beautiful!
20190424_085525.jpg

Just an update. Sadly the chick didn’t make it, for whatever reason it hadn’t grown at all and the others were nearly three times the size of it, it was fine in the morning eating and drinking and crying as usual. by mid afternoon it was laid on its side, like its leg couldn’t hold it anymore , it did push itself around to go under the heat pad , the other chicks all cuddled around it and while they were all cuddling together it passed. I don’t feel like I could have done anymore than I did, thanks for all your help :)

Just an update. Sadly the chick didn’t make it, for whatever reason it hadn’t grown at all and the others were nearly three times the size of it, it was fine in the morning eating and drinking and crying as usual. by mid afternoon it was laid on its side, like its leg couldn’t hold it anymore , it did push itself around to go under the heat pad , the other chicks all cuddled around it and while they were all cuddling together it passed. I don’t feel like I could have done anymore than I did, thanks for all your help :)
I'm sorry about your chick. It sounds like you did everything you could. It's so sad when that isn't enough. Good luck with the rest of your chickies!

Back
Top Bottom