Pasty Butt Advice ?!

Chris_Lee

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2018
5F1FECAB-5EDD-4B80-A860-E69ECEABD7EC.jpeg
1B0CEE3E-E0BC-4D66-8A74-A20C95C7EB3F.jpeg
Hello,

My chicks are 3 days old. On day 2, some of them started developing pasty butt. I’ve been cleaning off with water and have applied olive oil once. While their little holes are cleaned and their is no poop blockage, the feathers around their bottom are gross. The feathers are no longer soft but are firm to the touch and are stuck together. Like I said, their holes are cleared, it’s just the surrounding feathers that have gunked up and hardened. I have soaked and gently rubbed and can not get it cleaned. At this point blockage isn’t an issue, I just can’t get the feathers uncrusted. Is this normal? Does anyone have any advice for me on how to get the crusted feathers cleaned? Please view the pictures I have posted.

Last edited:
Once the initial pasty butt is remedied and they eat and drink normally, it doesn't come back.

IMO it's likely the olive oil - impossible to wash off - and trying to would be stressful to them.

I'm not sure they will sand bathe yet, but mine have at about one week old - why not give them a little sand bath area and see if they can take care of this by theirselves?

I have a question for ya if you don't mind.
How hot is it in your brooder?

I se you have a red heat lamp...double check the actual temp in there and make sure it isn't too hot.
TOO hot would be 90 and up, imo.

Awe bummer. Now I’m wishing I didn’t use the olive oil! Thank you for the suggestion, I’ll have to try that!
Once the initial pasty butt is remedied and they eat and drink normally, it doesn't come back.

IMO it's likely the olive oil - impossible to wash off - and trying to would be stressful to them.

I'm not sure they will sand bathe yet, but mine have at about one week old - why not give them a little sand bath area and see if they can take care of this by theirselves?

I broke my thermometer the day I bought it so I don’t have a way to check right now :rolleyes: I’ve just been paying close attention to their behavior. None of the chicks are huddled under the heater, but they also don’t run towards the opposite end. I figured this meant the temperature was comfortable for them. Could the heat have something to do with their bottoms? 4 our of 13 chicks are having this dirty booty issue.
I have a question for ya if you don't mind.
How hot is it in your brooder?

I se you have a red heat lamp...double check the actual temp in there and make sure it isn't too hot.
TOO hot would be 90 and up, imo.

I heard that adding a splash of ACV (apple cider vinegar) to their drinking water will help prevent pasty butt, so I've started using it for my entire flock a few years ago. Haven't had a case of pasty butt since and I've had it happen quite a few times before, with brooder and hen raised chicks. The recommended ratio is 4-5 tablespoons per gallon water, to be used only in plastic waterers (it corrodes metal).

I heard that adding a splash of ACV (apple cider vinegar) to their drinking water will help prevent pasty butt, so I've started using it for my entire flock. Haven't had a case of pasty butt since and I've had it happen quite a few times, with brooder and hen raised chicks. The recommended ratio is 4-5 tablespoons per gallon water, to be used only in plastic waterers (it corrodes metal).
Great suggestion! My recommendation though: Don't even use metal waterers for day olds. I did, and they rusted, and were hard to clean. I think the heat lamp speeds up the rusting process even more.

I broke my thermometer the day I bought it so I don’t have a way to check right now :rolleyes: I’ve just been paying close attention to their behavior. None of the chicks are huddled under the heater, but they also don’t run towards the opposite end. I figured this meant the temperature was comfortable for them. Could the heat have something to do with their bottoms? 4 our of 13 chicks are having this dirty booty issue.
I would say yes...that too hot can cause this to happen.

I will try this! Thank you! Do you have any recommendation on how to clean their crusted tail feathers?? I’ve tried water but it doesn’t seem to be working. Their no longer blocked up, but their feathers are gunky. Someone said it may be from the olive oil :(
I heard that adding a splash of ACV (apple cider vinegar) to their drinking water will help prevent pasty butt, so I've started using it for my entire flock a few years ago. Haven't had a case of pasty butt since and I've had it happen quite a few times before, with brooder and hen raised chicks. The recommended ratio is 4-5 tablespoons per gallon water, to be used only in plastic waterers (it corrodes metal).
I

Back
Top Bottom