Pasty Butt and a red on a week old Blue Orpington

Rachey62

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, mainly joining because I need some advice about a new baby chick, already posted this in the new member section but I'm trying to cover all bases!

We have a week old Blue orpington suffering from a bout of "pasty Butt" We've been cleaning it with warm water and cotton buds but noticed a very red, raw almost bloody lump on the vent, it's doesn't appear to be actual blood and it's not coming from inside the vent, is this just irritated from the cleaning, we're trying to be very gentle, or it is something more serious? the little chick had been very lethargic whereas the 3 other chicks are active, cleaning eating etc, should we separate it and do we need to think about any supplements? I read something about adding sugar to the water to give it energy? I've been keeping an eye on them and not noticed any of them pecking at the red lump?

Any advice would be greatly received,

Thanks

Rach
xxxx

If you mix Apple Cider Vinegar with their drink water (4-5 tablespoons to a gallon water) it'll help for the pasty butt. It really worked with my chicks. I would normally suggest applying some vaseline to the area to help prevent a come back, but I think that bum needs some antibiotic/antiseptic ointment.
Sugar water does perk up chicks, but if you got some vitamin supplements you can add to it's water it would be even better. Is it eating? Try and give it some plain yoghurt or scrambled egg. Good luck!

Some recomend adding unfiltered apple cider vinegar to the water will often help with pasty butt. Others feed them probiotics or plain yogurt to help with it. Not being able to get away from the heat in the brooder will aggrevate the problem as they drink more water making their droppings loose. Don't heat the whole brooder, just an area they can warm up in. As long as they aren't picking the raw area you are ok. They are attacted to the red and want to peck at it that causes problems. Bluecoat will cover the wound and prevent picking. Carefully trimming the fuzz around the vent will prevent it building up. Hope this gave you some options on how to treat the problem and welcome.

Thanks guys! problem is I'm stuck without a car until tomorrow evening and live in the back of beyond so can't get out to get any supplies, do you think it'll be OK until then or can I use Savlon on the "wound" or is that a massive no no?

Ta very muchly x

Is there anyone close enough to deliver you what you need? I know the feeling about being in the middle of no where! I would get some neosporen on that bum asap! Got anything for diaper rash? or burns?

Thanks, no where that'll deliver before I get the car back tomorrow so I'll have to wait, I have germolene and olive oil, think I'm going to go down the germolene route after a bit of research and people using it until they get to the shops. It's seems to have perked up a little after the trauma of me cleaning it's rear end. Thanks for all your advice, it's nice to have somewhere to come full of people who know what they're talking about, Thank you so much xxx

It's looking much much better today, no sign of the pasty bum reappearing and the vent is looking much more normal. He (I'm convinced it's a roo due to is slow feather development) is also a lot perkier and active, good sign I think, Luckily I work from home so can keep an eye on it throughout the day.

Thanks for your concern xxx

I love how lil chickys look when theyre new born they are just so FLUFFY !
bun.gif
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom