Pasty butt cure

Mar 1, 2021
when your chicks have poop clover on their butts, they have Pasty butt. What's the cure? Take a warm paper towel and hold them in your hand. Gently rub the area until the vent is visible. A little leftover poo is okay, just do not pull on the hair and be able to see the vent.

Any questions? Just ask me!:p

There are several other methods to this as well. There is no “cure”, but rather a treatment, as it is a problem that can recur despite what you mentioned above. I usually use a soft bristled tooth brush (a child’s tooth brush) in lukewarm water. It’s crucial that you try and get the chick’s rear dried before you put it back in the brooder, because a wet and exposed vent is just asking to be pecked at.

Thanks for trying to help others! You are clearly going to be a great chicken parent, as well as a wonderful member of the BYC community 😊

There are several other methods to this as well. There is no “cure”, but rather a treatment, as it is a problem that can recur despite what you mentioned above. I usually use a soft bristled tooth brush (a child’s tooth brush) in lukewarm water. It’s crucial that you try and get the chick’s rear dried before you put it back in the brooder, because a wet and exposed vent is just asking to be pecked at.

Thanks for trying to help others! You are clearly going to be a great chicken parent, as well as a wonderful member of the BYC community 😊
Thanks! That takes away a lot of stress.

Another solution for pasty but is to add 3/4 tsp of apple cider vinegar for a quart of water. You can add it to the communal waterer, it won’t hurt if other chicks don’t have pasty butt. If it doesn’t work, you can add more apple cider vinegar, up to 1 tsp. I recommend you try this electrolyte mix to prevent pasty butt in the future:

per 1 quart water

4 cups warm water
2tbsp + 1 tsp white granulated sugar or molasses
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
OPTIONAL: 1/2 tsp potassium chloride

Only feed this to chicks while they are in the brooder. Once they move out, it’s best to move to a store bought electrolyte mix. Just add this to their water. The best way to find potassium chloride is to find a salt substitute in the store. Just adjust the recipe to the size of your waterer. Hope this helps!!!

If you use your own electrolyte mix, I would add just the apple cider vinegar. You can also try mixing their feed into some scrambled eggs, plain, green yogurt or cornmeal.

What I did for my chick with pasty butt (we tried the paper towel method, didn’t work, it was really stuck on there) so we ran her under warm water (not her head just the tail area) and the gently wiped it. Worked like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom