1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Pasty Butt for 3 weeks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by laughaha, May 19, 2010.

1. laughaha

laughaha Songster

May 5, 2010
    The 3 wk old chick has had pasty butt the entire time it's been alive. It's a golden seabright. It acts fine. All the chicks are doing great. It's just that this chick still has to have it's butt cleaned a few times a day. I am SO not cleaning this chickens but for the rest of it's life!!! Brooder temp is fine, always have access to clean food and water. I grind the starter crumbles for all the bantams still. I clean the brooder a few times a day. I did the honey/water for a few days. The other golden seabright (same age) only had it for a few days and now it's fine. Do ya'll think this chick is deformed inside? It appears to be really happy and healthy, just has a poopy butt. It doesn't appear to be suffering (except when I catch it and clean it's butt). I've read the stuff about pasty butt but didn't see anything where someone was having a problem this long with just one chick.

Any suggestions or should I cull it?

Oh this is one from the mixed bantam batch from TSC.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Crowing 11 Years

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Sounds like an issue in the gut. Something is out of balance. Try some plain yogurt.

Matt

3. laughaha

laughaha Songster

May 5, 2010
    I'll get some first thing in the morning, thanks

4. laughaha

laughaha Songster

May 5, 2010
    Yogurt hasn't stopped it yet. How long will it take for this to work? How often should I feed the yogurt (once/twice/hourly)?

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation 9 Years

Have you tried putting vaseline on a Q-tip and putting that around the vent area? I dunno if that works, but I read it somewhere. I would be more inclined to think it was too hot in the brooder. Is there a "cool," area where the chicks can get out of the heat? The yogurt is a good idea .... lowfat plain (unflavored) yogurt. I use it a couple times a week. I take a big spoon full of it and mix crumbles in it, and they all just love it. Sometimes I add a little warm water to it, to soften it a bit. Not soupy, but soft.

ETA: OH, I see you already tried the yogurt. Give it a couple days and see.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  6. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    I have no clue what I did to stop mine. I had 2 chicks that were almost 3 weeks old with pasty butts too, but like I said I don't remember what I did. As soon as I remember I'll let you know.

7. Maybe it needs a butt feather trim. Sometimes the feathers will catch some of it, especially if it is a bit runny. Try carefully snipping away some of the fluff and feathers just around and under the vent. Don't get too close and don't clear too much, or it will attract attention and be picked at by the others.

UGCM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: