pasty butt ~now protruding vent on baby chicken

chickens in the yard

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 16, 2010
Hello~I'm such a new "mother hen" here and have a question. Received my 27 chicks on Wed. Lost three but think it was due to being weak chicks to begin with. But now dealing with the pasty butt issues and doing ok except for this one. She had to be cleaned up and she was bleeding some at the vent area. I was thinking others may have been picking at it too. I isolated her for the night. This morning checked her and cleaned her off again, and noticed that it looks like the vent area is protruding alot. So HELP~this doesn't look normal but then again I don't really know what is normal or not normal here!

Last edited:
Very new to this so hoping it posted correctly....just checked and I'm not seeing it....

57676_im000120.jpg

Last edited:
I can see the photo, a touch out of focus, but I don't see anything horribly wrong. That could clear up on its own as long as other chicks aren't pecking at it. Be sure NOT to pull the dry feces off the down, it must be soaked until it's soft and gently pealed off. If you have room, using small scissors to cut it away might work, but be careful of the protruding vent area, you wouldn't want to cut that.

Appreciate your comments! (pic was a bit out of focus) I do have her isolated and thought I'd see how she is treated by the others on my next day off...so I can keep a close eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom