Pasty butt...rectal inversion?

Bird Brain

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
Hixson, TN
I am fairly new to chickens and the one chick I have had was raised by her mom. I got some new chicks today, one being a day old ameracauna. When I got it home and put it in its new box, I noticed a pasty butt. I tried the warm water and such, but I quickly stopped when it looked like it had a bulge comming from the hole. Has anyone ever seen this before? Im freaked and worried about my newest baby.

Be sure her rear is clean, gently see if you can push the extrusion back in, and apply Prep H. That would be the easiest first approach. Good luck.

are you sure this is the not the umbilical cord area you are looking at? if you pull on the umbilical cord if it still hasn't fallen off yet, you may get some 'stuff' coming out. make sure be fore you do anything else to it. i know alot of newbies make that mistake sometimes, i know i did when i first got into chicks.

I had a little 3 day old boy named Haru that got an infected pasty butt. He was only 1 of 28 baby chicks I got from a hatchery. After a few days, I notice he was cheeping a lot and crying. Poor thing - when I picked him up and examined him I noticed his poop completely covering his hole! It wasn;t noticable from above at all! I felt guilty, so I cleaned it off (his poor vent stuck out like 1/8 inch after that - OUCH). Everytime he would poop it would stick to him, so I'd have to clean it off often.

He was the runt and he was sooo tiny!

So . . . I cleaned his butt 3-5 times a day for 2 weeks until he figured out how to do it himself. Now that is love.

Nowadays, he's still smaller than all the others in his shipment, but he loves me more than all the others do! He is a healthy silver ducking OEG bantam
smile.png

Just keep your baby's vent clean. I would recommend separating him as well. You can put a feather duster and mirror in the box with him so he'll have a feathered friend and another baby chick to look at.

Well all I did was was its little bottom and pray for the best. I was afraid to push whatever that was back in it hurt the little one. But several days later and the little fella is thriving! Thank you all for your replies! I am sure I will have many questions.

Back
Top Bottom