Pasty butt removal problems

At the feed store when we get pasty butt ones I run their bum only under warm water (I do the wrist temp like you do for baby bottles) and let it run over the poopy part for a minute then massage the pasty part off. I pat the butt dry, apply the no-pick lotion thinly so other chicks don’t peck their raw behind open (and keeps more poop from sticking) and then put them back under the heat lamp. Usually once the butt lotion wears off they’re over the poopy butts.

Are your temps ok? When my heat bulb got too hot I had pasty issues. Also them drinking too much cold water too fast can cause it. I make the water daily and make it slightly above room temp (but not hot) and that way when they charge the fresh waterer it’s not going to chill them.

I have one leghorn that seems to have the problem more than any of the others. I watch her very carefully and clean when I see it. Hasn't come back since yesterday, so maybe we're out of the woods. If I see it on her or any of the other ones, I'm going to try the olive oil. It seems like that would be more soothing to them.
My wife asks if baby oil (which I guess we have even though there hasn't really been a baby in our house for 12 years) will work. Anyone know?

Thanks for all the tips. I washed them under the faucet and it took a while, but came off. I also got some advice on their MHP and lowered it, and moved them into our mudroom from the garage. I think they were too cold. They have ACV in the water and are doing much better, only 2 had pasty butt yesterday from the original group. Interesting that our Buff Orpingtons haven't had it at all, seem really happy and content, but the Barred Rocks and Silver Laced Wyandottes have all had it and are high strung.

Back
Top Bottom