Pasty Butt

Amber Lu

Chirping
Feb 4, 2022
Portland, OR
I brought my 4 (hopefully) girls home on Thursday. I think that some were about a week old, and others 3 or 4 days old. Yesterday, we notice that one of the older ones had a large hard chunk of poo on her bum. I looked up what to do about it. I softened it and pulled it off the best I could. It took about 10 minutes and she lost a bit of down off of her tail. I put her back in with her sisters and checked on her this morning.

She is active, eating, and drinking. There is still a little bit of poo on her vent. I tried to get it off, but she pecked me and was frantic, so I let her go. I watched her for a bit and she seemed like she was trying to clean it off herself, and then she left a large pile of droppings in the brooder. It was larger than the rest that I could see in the brooder.

Does it sound like I got her clean enough? I am 2 days new to raising chicks, and while I was happy to see her poop, I am also nervous that I did not get her clean enough.

Thanks =)

I brought my 4 (hopefully) girls home on Thursday. I think that some were about a week old, and others 3 or 4 days old. Yesterday, we notice that one of the older ones had a large hard chunk of poo on her bum. I looked up what to do about it. I softened it and pulled it off the best I could. It took about 10 minutes and she lost a bit of down off of her tail. I put her back in with her sisters and checked on her this morning.

She is active, eating, and drinking. There is still a little bit of poo on her vent. I tried to get it off, but she pecked me and was frantic, so I let her go. I watched her for a bit and she seemed like she was trying to clean it off herself, and then she left a large pile of droppings in the brooder. It was larger than the rest that I could see in the brooder.

Does it sound like I got her clean enough? I am 2 days new to raising chicks, and while I was happy to see her poop, I am also nervous that I did not get her clean enough.

Thanks =)
She'll be fine, just don't let it get built up and clean it off when it starts to obstruct her vent.

I looked up what to do about it. I softened it and pulled it off the best I could. It took about 10 minutes and she lost a bit of down off of her tail. I put her back in with her sisters and checked on her this morning.

You may need to soak her bottom in warm water to help soften the poop. Pulling, you risk tearing the skin.
Dry well, use a hairdryer if needed. Once dry, apply a little vaseline or coconut oil to the vent to help prevent poop from sticking.

With her having a large poop this morning when you tried to help her, the poop was likely clogging the vent. Keeping the vent unpasted is best, so you may need to clean her more than once a day.

What are your brooder temps like? Any photos?
Shipping stress, being too hot or cold can also contribute to pasting. Observe to see if the chicks are all huddling under the heat, avoiding it or just moving about/active.

You may need to soak her bottom in warm water to help soften the poop. Pulling, you risk tearing the skin.
Dry well, use a hairdryer if needed. Once dry, apply a little vaseline or coconut oil to the vent to help prevent poop from sticking.

With her having a large poop this morning when you tried to help her, the poop was likely clogging the vent. Keeping the vent unpasted is best, so you may need to clean her more than once a day.

What are your brooder temps like? Any photos?
Shipping stress, being too hot or cold can also contribute to pasting. Observe to see if the chicks are all huddling under the heat, avoiding it or just moving about/active.
I do not have any pictures of it. Weird, right?
I have a K&H Thermo pad for them like this:
1644127507190.png

They are in a large tub in my shed with pine fresh pellets for bedding. At night it has been mid 30's, and during the day low to mid 50's. They go under the warming plate, but they come out and eat and drink and to investigate me. Except the one who had a pasty vent. She's angry at me. She comes out with them, but runs away whenever I put a hand in--even if it is slow and far away. We had a little snuggle tonight before I turned the lights out, and she seemed less afraid.

I do not have any pictures of it. Weird, right?
I have a K&H Thermo pad for them like this:
View attachment 2985061

They are in a large tub in my shed with pine fresh pellets for bedding. At night it has been mid 30's, and during the day low to mid 50's. They go under the warming plate, but they come out and eat and drink and to investigate me. Except the one who had a pasty vent. She's angry at me. She comes out with them, but runs away whenever I put a hand in--even if it is slow and far away. We had a little snuggle tonight before I turned the lights out, and she seemed less afraid.
Sounds good.
She's not angry with you, just cautious because you had to clean her bum.
If it's irritated or red, but a little ointment on the vent (her bum) to help sooth and heal it.
Do you provide chick grit for them?

Sounds good.
She's not angry with you, just cautious because you had to clean her bum.
If it's irritated or red, but a little ointment on the vent (her bum) to help sooth and heal it.
Do you provide chick grit for them?
I am feeding them medicated chick crumble. Do I need to get chick grit yet? I can pick some up after church if it would help.

I am feeding them medicated chick crumble. Do I need to get chick grit yet? I can pick some up after church if it would help.
Welcome to BYC They don't really need chick grit if they are only eating crumble. But I always introduce chick grit to new hatchlings no matter what they are eating because you never know what they might get a hold of and eat, like bedding/wood shavings, or anything else that isn't their chick crumble better safe than sorry. Just give them a little at a time sprinkle a little around feeder as they may gorge themselves on it until they know what it is.

I agree with @Huntmaster I would provide chick grit.
Technically, you don't have to provide grit if all they eat is chick crumble/starter, but chicks eat everything.
I provide grit always, right at hatch whether I incubate them or if a Mama Hen is taking care of all of it. That Mama Hen takes them to grit when they come off the nest.

I agree with @Huntmaster I would provide chick grit.
Technically, you don't have to provide grit if all they eat is chick crumble/starter, but chicks eat everything.
I provide grit always, right at hatch whether I incubate them or if a Mama Hen is taking care of all of it. That Mama Hen takes them to grit when they come off the nest.
I went and bought some and sprinkled it over their feeder and around it.
I cleaned up her bum again and rubbed a bit of coconut oil on with a q-tip. It was still totally clean a couple of hours later. I have no idea what I am doing, but hopefully I am doing it right =)

I went and bought some and sprinkled it over their feeder and around it.
I cleaned up her bum again and rubbed a bit of coconut oil on with a q-tip. It was still totally clean a couple of hours later. I have no idea what I am doing, but hopefully I am doing it right =)
Sounds like you're doing fine!
Having a clean bum hours later is a GREAT thing.

Back
Top Bottom