Sconiemamabear

Chirping
Feb 21, 2022
Wisconsin
I have been checking my chicks for pasty butt since I got them April 1st. They have been all good this far but today I noticed two had just a bit of poop stuck to the back downy feathers. Not on the vent or around. I cleaned them both up to prevent it from getting worse but did I really need to do that? Did I end up stressing them out for no reason? Is a little dried poop normal?

I read a few different articles and blog posts but really couldn’t find a good answer to this.

I have been checking my chicks for pasty butt since I got them April 1st. They have been all good this far but today I noticed two had just a bit of poop stuck to the back downy feathers. Not on the vent or around. I cleaned them both up to prevent it from getting worse but did I really need to do that?
If I was in the situation, I would have cleaned them. Once there is a little poop, it can build up quickly. (I get paranoid about pasty butt, though)

Although you say it wasn't around the vent... where was it?
Did I end up stressing them out for no reason?
Maybe, but if it got to pasty butt level, then they would have been MUCH more stressed. Don't worry about it!
Is a little dried poop normal?
I think usually it is. It depends how much, though.

If I was in the situation, I would have cleaned them. Once there is a little poop, it can build up quickly. (I get paranoid about pasty butt, though)

Although you say it wasn't around the vent... where was it?

Maybe, but if it got to pasty butt level, then they would have been MUCH more stressed. Don't worry about it!

I think usually it is. It depends how much, though.
It was on the downy feathers below it. So maybe they sat in some and it stuck to them. I figured if I didn’t clean it off, it would just get worse and then harder to clean, thus stressing them out even more.

It may be their umbilical cord if it's not on or around the vent. If that's the case, do not remove it or it could be fatal. Try to look up info and pictures on umbilical cords vs pasty butt to see the difference.

Back
Top Bottom