Pasty Butt !!!!!

katysbirds

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
I have a small chick that was born Good Friday (3-29-13). She now has pasty butt, which I have been trying to clean. But the question is, she seems to have something small and white just inside her vent and when she tries to go (poo) nothing happens. Am I going to loose her? Please HELP ASAP!!!!!

My only suggestion is to massage the affected area with a towel that has soaked up a small ammount of warm water. The white thing? I have no idea, sorry.

The small white thing may actually be the site of where the umbilical cord was attached. It is located below the vent. Pasting is normal from the transition of surviving off the yolk to digesting starter feed. Use a cotton ball soaked in warm water. Hold it for a few minutes on the pasted dropping and it will be removed easily. Be sure to gently pat the area dry before returning to the brooder. Offering chick scratch in addition to starter feed and using Probios dispersible powder in the water helps their digestive system.

make sure there is not too much medicine in the water though. your chick-and any chicken for the matter- won't drink water unless it is generally clear and oderless.

i lost mine, it had pasty butt and kept squirting out diahrrea and vomiting then died IMMEDIATELY. but it sounds like the umbrilical cord, follow post #3!
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom