PASTY BUTTS.. Need help for dosage of tetracycline...

Quote:
I really don't see them doing that. it was a little too warm for them so I put a fan on low just to circulate fan in the brooder they seem to be doing better with the fan. I just put some vitamins and electrolytes in their water. I will clean their butts and see how it goes.
If by some small chance it is cocci what should I do?

Don't administer vitamins at the same time as giving Corid (amprolium) if you decide to treat for coccidiosis. There is also sulmet:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=510921&p=1
see post #5 especially but the whole thread is informative.

So, if they were too warm, then that could explain the droopy behavior.

If they perk up then maybe they aren't sick.

Quote:
I really don't see them doing that. it was a little too warm for them so I put a fan on low just to circulate fan in the brooder they seem to be doing better with the fan. I just put some vitamins and electrolytes in their water. I will clean their butts and see how it goes.
If by some small chance it is cocci what should I do?

The behavior you described is normal when they get too hot. You can put frozen water bottles or cooler ice packs on top of a brooder with wire mesh or put them in the brooder under a towel. You can also put a little ice in their water to keep it cool because hot drinking water can raise their body temps.

If you do experience a cocci infection here is a list of meds you can use for treatment. If you feed medicated grower feed, they will have low doses of the Amprolium already, which would help them get through an outbreak and earn their natural immunity.

Quote:
Ok, so I would like to summarize my thoughts on this, as it is just so difficult sometimes to see if I have communicated well:

1. Overheating can definitely cause the above.

2. Coccidiosis can cause the above, too. You may or may not see bloody poo. You might look at the link on coccidiosis to see if you think that is what they have.

3. Regular antibiotics are good for specific conditions, and I have no experience with choosing one for a particular condition.

4. I hope your chicks get better. I hope others will have more ideas.

I should have mentioned this also, you can put some electrolyte in their water. Get something like Pedialyte (from the baby food aisle) or you can make your own:

1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
1/3 tsp salt

It sounds to me like you just have some overheated and stressed out chicks. No need for meds. Just get them hydrated and cooled off and keep those fuzzy butts clean.

Hi,
I have a pasty butt Mottled Java, she's about 3 weeks old but looks fairly like a newborn. I just finished 1 week of Corid for cocci...for all the chicks. Now they're on vitamin/elctrolyte water and watered down yogurt on the side...and organic starter feed. I wash her bum carefully-2 to 3 times a day the first week and 1-2 times a day this week... and its easy, just a little bowl of water and a little toilet paper and soak her bum for a second or two with the toilet paper dipped in warm water. The poo should come off without pulling or hurting her. And with advice on the forum, I put olive oil on her vent and around it to help poo not stick to her as often. She's supposed to outgrow the pasting soon...I've read it can be a couple days to a couple weeks. At any rate-she's letting me help her, so that's good. For the Corid, I used 2 teaspoons Corid to 1 gallon, and refreshed their water 2x a day-but I only have 5 chicks so their water was pretty clean. Hope that helps.

Also before the Corid meds', I started them all on the Apple Cider Vinegar in their water everyday-also good advice from the forum. Its definitely a healthy benefit for them. I don't know about giving it to them during the med's though-I don't add anything to the med's/water while their taking meds, I don't want to lessen the effectiveness of the meds working.

Last edited:
if I decide to do the corrid meds how long should I start them on it after taking them off the vitamin/electrolights in their water.

they are about 5 days old. they are on a medicated starter for chicks.

thanx all for the help... I hope it works

Quote:
Corid should be started immediately if you think you are dealing with coccidiosis, because if it is that, it is swift.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...ns.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=510921&p=1#1094

the above is a search for corid dosage- it comes in a liquid and powder in the cattle section of the feed store

Someone will be able to help you with dosage if you decide to go this route, I'm sure, or you can find it on a search.

It is unusual for brand new chicks to succumb to coccidiosis- usually closer to 3 weeks of age is the norm.

Whereas, losing chicks from overheating is quite common. I have almost done this myself accidently. I probably was one hour away from killing them.

Quote:
Hi, I brood alot of chicks. I always use medicatded feed but, also b/c I have broodies hatching eggs I always do the following:

1) One hard boiled egg in the food processor mashed to a fine pulp (first week of life)
2) Sprinkle chick medicated starter on top (first week of life)
3) 1 tsp of sugar to one quart of water, NO SALT (first 24 hours)
4) Corid on day 2 and I do not put sugar in that day, I only leave it out for 12 hours and make sure every chick has had their beak gently dipped in there a couple of times
5) Day 3-7 One tsp of Sugar to one Quart of water
6) Bottoms are always checked three times per day, cleaned if needed, trimmed, and oiled with OO.

I hope this helps. It sounds like to me your chicks may have had a rough start to life and the sooner you do something the better a chance they have at living.

Best Wishes
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom