Pasty vent, please help im a beginner!!

dellena

In the Brooder
May 24, 2021
i think one of my chicks is starting to develop a pasty vent, though it does not cover the vent, it covers the place where his umbilical cord should be (they are 2 weeks old so that should not still be attached to them), should i clean them? and how? i saw a few methods, but im not sure whichever should i use. I was also scared of accidentally taking his scab of the umbilical cord, but that should have already fallen.

Pasty butt is caused by stress and heat. Check for overheating, ovecrowding or stress in the bird. When treating, take breaks between cleans as not to stress the chick out.

The umbilical cord should be completely off by now.

Treating pasty butt

1. Get warm water in a bucket and some soft pieces of cotton
  2. Wet the cotton and gently rub the poop off
  3. If the chick is too wet, dry with a towel
  4. Put back in the brooder
  5. The next day, check all of the chicks for pasty butt

They can still have their umbilical cord up to 3 weeks from what I've read. Mine usually lose it around 1-2 weeks.
I've had to clean pasty butt at a couple days... I just made sure their bums were nice and wet with warm water and just used my nails to pinch itty bitty pieces of poop (meticulously - little by little) until I could see their vent. I had to use Q-tip at one point just to ensure I could see what was attached to what. The poop will dissolve fairly quick if you stay on top of it. The cords could be stuck on with the poop.
Oh and from my beginning experience... too much heat can be culprit if you are using a lamp vs a chic brooder plate. I damn near killed my 1st chicks, being so worried about heat. Since, I've only used a panel and haven't ever had them in house. If I don't breed my own, they start in the garage and go into the coop at 3-4 weeks (if not integrating into an existing flock, as long as it's 50 degrees or so.
I've watched mama hens take them outside on day 5 into 30 degree weather for hour long field trips with the occasional warm up.

They can still have their umbilical cord up to 3 weeks from what I've read. Mine usually lose it around 1-2 weeks.
I've had to clean pasty butt at a couple days... I just made sure their bums were nice and wet with warm water and just used my nails to pinch itty bitty pieces of poop (meticulously - little by little) until I could see their vent. I had to use Q-tip at one point just to ensure I could see what was attached to what. The poop will dissolve fairly quick if you stay on top of it. The cords could be stuck on with the poop.
Oh and from my beginning experience... too much heat can be culprit if you are using a lamp vs a chic brooder plate. I damn near killed my 1st chicks, being so worried about heat. Since, I've only used a panel and haven't ever had them in house. If I don't breed my own, they start in the garage and go into the coop at 3-4 weeks (if not integrating into an existing flock, as long as it's 50 degrees or so.
I've watched mama hens take them outside on day 5 into 30 degree weather for hour long field trips with the occasional warm up.
Can i remove the poop aven if the cord is stuck on it, would it harm the chicks in anyway?

Back
Top Bottom