Paternal Instincts in Roos?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bonnylass79, Nov 16, 2009.

1. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    Last week one of my 2 week old chicks dug his way out of the yard. I came home to find him sheltering from the rain under one of the roosters on top of the chicken tractor. No idea how long he'd been out, but I'm assuming the roos also protected him from becoming hawk food.

Last night hubby goes out to lock up the chickens for the night and all three chicks are in the yard huddled under my other rooster. He was afraid to walk because he was so worried about stepping on them. When hubby tried to move him, he held up one shaking leg to avoid stepping on the chicks.

Yes, I plan on arming myself with a camera from now on to capture the cuteness on film. I've always been cautious about allowing roosters with chicks because I assumed they would try to hurt them. Has anyone else had a rooster or roosters who actually took care of the chicks?

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I once had a rooster that adopted 2 kittens. He doted on them and guarded like a hawk. Hw was a good daddy right up until the day he was martally wounded by a dog while protecting his babies.

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Most of the bantam roosters I've had seemed to care about the welfare of the chicks. Either by feeding them, sheltering them, allowing them to roost under their wings. Usually it was older chicks who's momma decided they were done.

I've also had non-broody hens steal chicks, or offer protection as well. Lazy hens who favor the easier route of adoption? LOL

I showed an egg to my rooster today, he talked about it and rolled it even! He let's his girls sleep under/over/on/next to him, hen, pullet, or baby he doesn't care. I'd imagine he'll be a great daddy rooster some day.

4. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    I've heard different breeds have different levels of caring in the roosters. There was a lovely story of Barnevelder roosters insisting on helping with the parenting.

We have yet to have adults and young stock at the same time, so no personal experience here.

5. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Our rooster "Blue" is a very protective, very watchful 'ol man. If they are out freeranging, and one of his girls is popping out an egg, when she's done and starts cackling, he come's a running to get her and bring her to the party. A real gentleman.

6. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    As promised, absolute cuteness.

So tonight I went to do the head count and only found two chicks.

[​IMG]

Looked in the nest boxes, the rafters, the outside run, even checked the fence to make sure he hadn't dug his way out again. No sign of the chick. So I decide to move the rooster, thinking he's blocking my full view of the nest box. When I hear a loud peep, I realize I've found the chick.

[​IMG]

7. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

My blue silkie roo use to protect any and all chicks that I integrated to his flock. He would chase off the other chickens that tried to bother the babies and he would cover them with his wings.
    Him and the wife adopted all the babies I hatched. It was awesome, I never had to worry about any of the babies.

8. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    [​IMG]

9. Ldyjarhead

Ldyjarhead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2009
    South/Central OH
    Quote:This is just the cutest thing!

10. jadeflower999

jadeflower999 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Vancouver, Washington
    OMG! I didn't see the baby under his wing at first, how cute!!! What a good papa:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by