patients wearing thin GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My sex links were born 3/22 and I had the first egg on 7/14...4 eggs yesterday from six hens. It has been sporadic...never know from one day to the next how many eggs I will get.

I have been feeding Dumor starter/grower but switched to Purina Flock Raiser two weeks ago. I put oyster shell and crushed eggshells in tuna can screwed to post when we got the first egg. Give snacks of yogurt/bananas frozen, leftovers when we have them, peelings from veggies, blackeyed peas from the garden, in the beginning they got beet greens daily but I have run out, weeds, grass from my garden beds...today they got lots.

As for hot weather...your temps are about like our Spring temps. We are mid to upper 90's into the 100's for the last month or more.

As for sex links and hot weather...mine do not pant as much as the BR and SLW. We were in the 90's with higher humidity than usual when we put them out in the run...the first day or two there were lots of drooping wings and panting but they quickly became accustom to the temps and are doing great now. I do put ice bottles out for them every day...in fact my alarm is going off right now to remind me!

I would check to see if you have a rat or snake problem. We did everything we could to make the coop/run safe from snakes as well as rats. If I find a spot I think they can get in, it is PLUGGED. Hate snakes!

We Have 23 rock hens and I'm not even really expecting any thing for another 3 wks. They'll be 5 mon. But here's something to make you GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..........................Patience is a virtue' posses it if you can. It's seldom found in women and never found in men. For all waiting the impossible wait.
he.gif
gig.gif
I know' that's just mean.

My chickens were born in mid February and just started laying last week. Actually, only two are up and running, one has layed only one with no shell and my silver laced wyandotte whom I thought would be my first is still barren. I live in Northern Oregon, not TOO far away. Be patient with them. It'll happen!!!

Mine were march hatched and no eggs yet, soon but still early so I'm not worried yet.

I have two ee's and a del born the same week or so. You want to bet whose will lay first? I'm just as frustrated and could have sold 4 doz eggs today but only had two. I have a couple of hens on eggs too. 7 roosters and I may have to killl them myself. Maybe it's the beer, drunk chickens don't lay well.
The secret is to not let them know you want them to lay.

I have three EE's, one orp, and two Brown leghorns. No eggs. Born last wk of March also. I am not expecting any until the middle of Aug. I hate waiting. too. Gloria Jean

I've got a couple of BSL's, 2 Comets and an Amberlink. One of the BSL's is beginning to lay an egg just about every day, and my pullets are approximately the age of your birds. So, you might just begin to see some eggs in the coming weeks. My one BSL is more mature looking than the other. Her comb is flopping over to one side while the other's is still erect.

I have 12 little hens zipping around my yard...

They're somewhat friendly, somewhat skittish but at dusk they can be picked up and some even cuddled.

I'm looking forward to getting an egg for my toast every morning.

I want to really ramp up my hens and have big clutches in the fall/winter so I can sell some of the eggs. There are three or four housing areas nearby that I know would be great catches for 'farm eggs.'

One year at a time. We got a little cash and bought the hens some food. We have a watermelon we're saving for Friday night and I think I'll share some with them.

We know they like cantaloupe, so watermelon is sure to be a hit.

They still don't like yogurt though... little fart-knockers.

Back
Top Bottom