Pawn Shop Etiquette

Stacykins

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Escanaba, MI
I've been thinking of taking a bow (a Bear Super Kodiak recurve) that I don't use anymore to a local pawn shop. Craigslist failed to get any hits at all (no price, just offer). But I have never been to any pawn shop before. I don't want to walk in looking like a total tool, you know? What is 'proper' pawn shop etiquette?
hu.gif

Not sure what you mean, but all you have to do is go in. That's the business they're in. Just don't expect it to be worth near as much as you paid. If you want to get it back someday pawn it, otherwise they'll just buy it outright. If you pawn it you have the option of just paying the interest (extremely high) until you redeem it.

They always go lower than they will actually give you for it. Do not let them rip you off!!! do your research before you go in and see how much they are selling for used now. Here is an example: I had a guitar i paid $500 for new and no longer played it. I did my search on-line and they were now selling for $300 new and $200-250 used. They offered me $75 for it. I said no and worked them up to $150 for it when they told me origanally they could never re sell it for that much. So do your homework and dont let them push you over lol. Other than that the people there are usually pretty nice.

I never respond to adds on craigslist that just say make offer. I only respond to adds that have a price. Maybe you should figure out what you need to get for the bow and repost it with a price. If you take it to the pawn shop you will be luck to get 1/3 of whats its worth. I would also check ebay and see what the same bow is bringing on auction. That will give you a good idea of what your bow is worth.

I also never respond to make an offer. I do however respond to obo offers.

Example 1:
Bow for sale make an offer.
sad.png

Example 2:
Bow for sale 100 obo.
smile.png

Quote:
I agree, I'd try again on craigslist with a price before going to the pawn shop.

I never respond to anything that just says make an offer anymore. I tried that once or twice and the person was insulted at the offer I made on their precious item (apparently my idea of the value was way off), I just don't bother anymore.

Back
Top Bottom