Pawn Shop Etiquette

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Stacykins, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I've been thinking of taking a bow (a Bear Super Kodiak recurve) that I don't use anymore to a local pawn shop. Craigslist failed to get any hits at all (no price, just offer). But I have never been to any pawn shop before. I don't want to walk in looking like a total tool, you know? What is 'proper' pawn shop etiquette? [​IMG]

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Ahahaha, I meant to post this in Random Ramblings, ooops! [​IMG]

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Not sure,but they sure do get a lot of stuff from all those reality shows on cable!!!!!!!!! Not much money, though

Good luck

4. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure what you mean, but all you have to do is go in. That's the business they're in. Just don't expect it to be worth near as much as you paid. If you want to get it back someday pawn it, otherwise they'll just buy it outright. If you pawn it you have the option of just paying the interest (extremely high) until you redeem it.

5. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

They always go lower than they will actually give you for it. Do not let them rip you off!!! do your research before you go in and see how much they are selling for used now. Here is an example: I had a guitar i paid $500 for new and no longer played it. I did my search on-line and they were now selling for $300 new and $200-250 used. They offered me $75 for it. I said no and worked them up to $150 for it when they told me origanally they could never re sell it for that much. So do your homework and dont let them push you over lol. Other than that the people there are usually pretty nice.

6. Debbiesflocks

Debbiesflocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Washington
    I never respond to adds on craigslist that just say make offer. I only respond to adds that have a price. Maybe you should figure out what you need to get for the bow and repost it with a price. If you take it to the pawn shop you will be luck to get 1/3 of whats its worth. I would also check ebay and see what the same bow is bringing on auction. That will give you a good idea of what your bow is worth.

7. Eris

Eris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    El Paso, Texas
    I also never respond to make an offer. I do however respond to obo offers.

Example 1:
    Bow for sale make an offer.
    [​IMG]

Example 2:
    Bow for sale 100 obo.
    [​IMG]

8. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:I agree, I'd try again on craigslist with a price before going to the pawn shop.

I never respond to anything that just says make an offer anymore. I tried that once or twice and the person was insulted at the offer I made on their precious item (apparently my idea of the value was way off), I just don't bother anymore.

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:left or right handed, whats the draw length?

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Dont expect to get hardly any money for it at all...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by