Pea Eggs in Brinsea Incubator... THENNN a power outage :-(

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Chicken Keith, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Chicken Keith

Chicken Keith Chillin' With My Peeps

Power went out for almost 2 solid hours yesterday from a nasty thunderstorm. Pea (IB) are 22 days in to their 28 day incubation.

My Brinsea Octagon 20 Advanced has a 1 hour cool setting built in that mimics a real setting hen's daily patterns.

Do ya think the eggs are hurt by just two hours no power? I candled the eggs 2 days before the storm and they had a moving embryo. I'll candle them tomorrow again, but thought I'd let em rest.

These are my first pea eggs to live this far in artificial incubation so...

The Angry Hen likes this.
  2. h2oratt

h2oratt Chicken Obsessed

May 3, 2015
    Morada, california
    No, they should be fine

The Angry Hen likes this.
  3. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    I second that.

I don't have peas but I've had chicken eggs left cold for about 11 hours. Every chick hatched fine.:)

CTKen likes this.
  4. Chicken Keith

Cool, thanks. I will candle again.

5. Midnightman14

Midnightman14 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    Nothing to worry about, even in nature mom will get off the nest regularly. As long as they weren't freezing cold it's fine.

Chicken Keith and KsKingBee like this.
  6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Ditto that (although they mine hatched a couple of days later than expected)

Chicken Keith and KsKingBee like this.
  7. Chicken Keith

Update: Just candled, saw viable moving embryos. Holdin my breath with peas, it's an experiment. The eggs were free, from my mating pair. But I've never successfully hatched peas before. The father of these embryos was hatched under one of my setting chicken hens 4 yrs ago. A lady I knew who raised peafowl always would set eggs under a chicken for the first week, then put em in an incubator. I didn't do that with these, because I have no hens setting now. So I consider myself very lucky. Plus my Brinsea Octogon 20 is impressing me--although the thermostat needs calibration over time. When I saw a zoo using this type incubator to hatch penguin eggs, I thought, ok, that's in my price reach...

KsKingBee likes this.
  8. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Brinsea makes good machines, I have two 380's running all season long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by