Pea Eggs in Brinsea Incubator... THENNN a power outage :-(

Chicken Keith

Crowing
16 Years
Jun 1, 2007
Huntsville, Alabama (Go Vols)
Power went out for almost 2 solid hours yesterday from a nasty thunderstorm. Pea (IB) are 22 days in to their 28 day incubation.

My Brinsea Octagon 20 Advanced has a 1 hour cool setting built in that mimics a real setting hen's daily patterns.

Do ya think the eggs are hurt by just two hours no power? I candled the eggs 2 days before the storm and they had a moving embryo. I'll candle them tomorrow again, but thought I'd let em rest.

These are my first pea eggs to live this far in artificial incubation so...

Update: Just candled, saw viable moving embryos. Holdin my breath with peas, it's an experiment. The eggs were free, from my mating pair. But I've never successfully hatched peas before. The father of these embryos was hatched under one of my setting chicken hens 4 yrs ago. A lady I knew who raised peafowl always would set eggs under a chicken for the first week, then put em in an incubator. I didn't do that with these, because I have no hens setting now. So I consider myself very lucky. Plus my Brinsea Octogon 20 is impressing me--although the thermostat needs calibration over time. When I saw a zoo using this type incubator to hatch penguin eggs, I thought, ok, that's in my price reach...

Update: Just candled, saw viable moving embryos. Holdin my breath with peas, it's an experiment. The eggs were free, from my mating pair. But I've never successfully hatched peas before. The father of these embryos was hatched under one of my setting chicken hens 4 yrs ago. A lady I knew who raised peafowl always would set eggs under a chicken for the first week, then put em in an incubator. I didn't do that with these, because I have no hens setting now. So I consider myself very lucky. Plus my Brinsea Octogon 20 is impressing me--although the thermostat needs calibration over time. When I saw a zoo using this type incubator to hatch penguin eggs, I thought, ok, that's in my price reach...

Brinsea makes good machines, I have two 380's running all season long.

Back
Top Bottom