Pea family photos

dixygirl

Songster
11 Years
May 14, 2008
of=50,590,394

Look closely, there are actually three tiny chicks under the mother here. One with the dark back feathers is closest to her foot.
of=50,590,335

Dad suspiciously checking me out while the family is over by the plate.
of=50,590,442

Chicks in plate (Similar to the pic I missed of the dad fanning his train feathers.)
of=50,590,442

Chicks around plate
of=50,590,442

Mom is sitting on top of the chicks brooding them again once breakfast was finished.

Last edited:
Father's Day
I watched the most curious thing this morning with my peafowl which inspired me to run inside and get my camera.

I added feed and water and the protective dad ventured first to the plate to check things out. He ate a bit and then lifted his beautiful train feathers and started dancing around. He then went and got his wife and the babies and pushed them over to the plate with his fan still showing. To me this looked like the protective father checking things out for his family and then signaling them that all was good and to come over and enjoy.
Mom and kids then ate while dad proudly watched with lovely fan rattling. That was the perfect photo that I missed the whole family having breakfast. New chicks in plate, mom eating and dad watching close by rattling his fan.

These photos are cute but don't compare to the scene I missed capturing.

Last edited:
Thank you. I thank God everyday for sharing them with me when I get up to care for them.

Quote:
LOL...that is how I feel! We live pretty far out away from any town but we have a little country community around us. I'm not sure how everyone would react to peafowl calls. Roosters don't seem to be a problem, almost every neighbor has one, but I think I might be pushing my luck with the peafowl!

I already have those obnoxious donkeys making a racket evey morning at 7am.

Since the babies came they don't make a peep. I guess they want to keep a quiet nursery environment.
duc.gif

I love the pictures ...

My hubby surprised me by asking if we could get some? So - I've been learning what I can. I'd love to hear how you take care of them, how big is the pen they are in? Do you ever let them free range? What do you feed them, etc. ... ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom